CoinPeople.com

Internet auction results

research5

Hello friends of numismatics!

I am collecting coins and medals more than 30 years and I am member in eBay since 1998, when this was in Germany operated by Alando.

I am surfing very often in eBay to look what is going around and from time to time I am buying something for my collection.

Especially in medals I have noticed during the past two years, that the results in eBay are very often on top of those in life auctions.

But also coins achieve much higher results in eBay, than expected.

Even reprints of old German gold coins of the empire (20 Mark) of rare coins achieve 4 times the gold value.

What is your experience and what is the reason for this? I do not believe, that only newbie’s are the buyers, because I have noticed that even dealers are ready to pay more than market value.

I am looking forward to receiving your experience in this matter.

This seems to be a reasonaable answer for the major trend.

But the reasons for the behaviour of internet buyers may be manifold. In case of dealers I believe, that they have some collectors with sufficient financial background and low knowledge. Otherwise this cannot be explained.

It's easy - people think they are getting a bargain on ebay without any proper research. Only after when they received the "coins" can they possibly realize they have overpaid. I see some kind of gambling going on. For example what people are paying for counterfeits are a real shocker these days. Many examples can be seen in the Russian coin forum section.

I think the prices for Art Noveau medals on Ebay are in line with what you'd pay at a live auction and a little less than retail in a store. There aren't a lot of bargains but I haven't seen anything go for insane prices. With ancient coins Ebay is fairly cheap but with good reason, most of the stuff is substandard. It is possible to get a deal, but there is quite a risk as well.

Also, never underestimate good old American laziness! I would wager that there is a huge number of people willing to pay a premium to buy a coin while in their underwear on the couch.

:ninja:

I find it hard to believe that an American said that!!?!

But some British coins are to be had at bargain prices, not many though but still some!

- Clive.

I'm guessing a few of the posts in this community have been made while el postino was in their skivies.

Not you again thedeadpoint, I thought the police talked to you about this already?

Archived