CoinPeople.com

Unkown Rubles of Peter II

squirrel

ebay item 310010866042

Has anyone read this book, "The Known and Unknown Rubles of Peter II" Looks interesting, and well done, but too pricey (way more than Bitkin!). Is this an especially rare and sought after book? I am curious as to the "unknown" part of the title. Text seems to be Russian Only.

ebay item 310010866042

Has anyone read this book, "The Known and Unknown Rubles of Peter II" Looks interesting, and well done, but too pricey (way more than Bitkin!). Is this an especially rare and sought after book? I am curious as to the "unknown" part of the title. Text seems to be Russian Only.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=310010866042

The text mentions that the author has previously published an article with a theory that some versions of the peter the 2nd ruble carry the picture of Menshikoff (Peter the Great friend/aid/"number one") The core of the book is a catalog of 200 variations of the 1728 ruble and a few 1727 rubles that the author claims to be patterns of the 1728 one.

The text mentions that the author has previously published an article with a theory that some versions of the peter the 2nd ruble carry the picture of Menshikoff (Peter the Great friend/aid/"number one").

I have not read this book nor the article you mention. It is true that Menshikov was the real power behind the throne 1725-30.

But, even so, was he really so bold as to substitute his own portrait for that of the Tsar on the coinage? That would surely have the potential to lead to some very unpleasant consequences and it seems unlikely that such an action could be kept a secret.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but the evidence would need to be fairly persuasive to convince me that it is true.

ebay item 310010866042

This is the best book in Russian Numismatics published so far. Interesting reading, nice fotos. I would never think that you can actually 'read' a catalog instead of just turning pages, but each description to a particular coin deserves reading.

I did not read it to the end for lack of time, but I definitely will. The book is rare, it was released in ab 500 pcs (?) by the author and it will not be reissued as far as I know. I purchased my copy from the author for 200$.

Archived