CoinPeople.com

Quotes From Famous People

Twentycent

"I abhor all irredeemable paper, everything in the shape of paper issued for ciculation whether by government or individuals, which cannot be turned into gold or silver at the will of the holder." Daniel Webster.

Anybody have any other quotes about paper money by well known people? How about un-well known people? How about some originals from the board members?

Jerry

I like silver, I like gold, I like platinum, I like copper and I like palladium! I like to feel the weight in my hand and hold the history. I do grab some old currency now and then if it is within my budget as keepers for my little boy. Had some nice stuff on display a few years ago and they all got stolen in a break in so it is taking awhile to get any paper back in the old collection!

Now a famous quote from someone NOT famous----ME! "We eat to survive, we do not survive to eat!" :ninja:

I like silver, I like gold, I like platinum, I like copper and I like palladium! I like to feel the weight in my hand and hold the history.

Another metal fan. Sorry McDoo nothing personal against notes but i, like Crystalk just like metals, shiny metals preferred no doubt.

I love gold, adore silver, shiny copper i like, platinum never really captured me quite the same way that gold/silver did. Palladium i've yet to see in person but having seen pictures of it, it just looks cool. Although i must confess i find nearly all metals intriguing in some way but there's two that just draw me in like a nail to a magnet. Those are mercury and gallium, you'd not make coins out of either since they both tend to swish around too much. That and the former will kill you. But it's sooo shiny... :ninja:;)

Metals are truely wonderful.

Add in history and you've got one heck of a combination.

“Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value ---- zero.” Voltaire

WRONG!!!

Voltaire didn't collect banknotes, and obviously couldn't appreciate the aesthetic value of banknotes. For example. a random banknote in crisp UNC condition can lose all legal tender value in 50 years, but regains at least the value it had before simply because it is desirable. :ninja:

WRONG!!!

Voltaire didn't collect banknotes, and obviously couldn't appreciate the aesthetic value of banknotes. For example. a random banknote in crisp UNC condition can lose all legal tender value in 50 years, but regains at least the value it had before simply because it is desirable. :ninja:

Ah then we are collecting for different reasons i see. You collect for æsthetics and i collect for history.

I generally really don't have any what could be called "æsthetically' pleasing coins in my collection. Third Reich and Anglo-Saxon coins tend to lack those diagnostics.

Firstly because Zinc is never popular (looks nice with lustre though) but the designs aren't the type that bowl people over. As for Anglo-Saxon well that's the lack of technology to blame.

WRONG!!!

By intrinsic value he means the value of the paper the note is printed on, which will probably be next to worthless. Coins on the other hand have a higher intrinsic value (due to being made out of metal) as they can be melted down and the metal sold.

I see what you mean.... you can melt a coin and it will still be worth something, but even the rarest of banknotes can be cut up with scissors and be rendered worthless... :ninja:

But on the other hand, any UNC banknote will still hold some value after becoming obsolete.

He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money.

Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

If you would be wealthy, think of saving as well as getting.

Who is rich? He that is content. Who is that? Nobody.

:ninja:

He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money.

If you would be wealthy, think of saving as well as getting.

Who is rich? He that is content. Who is that? Nobody.

;)

Ahhh, we are bring Ben into the arena. I believe Stujoe has a favorite quote by him. :ninja:

Ah then we are collecting for different reasons i see. You collect for æsthetics and i collect for history.

Collecting banknotes and collecting for history are not mutually exclusive. Collecting for aesthetics and history aren't always, either. You'd probably have a difficult time finding any obsolete coin or currency that wasn't a remnant of something historically interesting.

I am the terror that flaps in the night, I am the ten dollar service charge on all returned checks. ---Darkwing Duck.

Ahh, there's nothing better than a cigarette... unless it's a cigarette lit with a hundred-dollar bill. ---Krusty the Clown.

Collecting banknotes and collecting for history are not mutually exclusive. Collecting for aesthetics and history aren't always, either. You'd probably have a difficult time finding any obsolete coin or currency that wasn't a remnant of something historically interesting.

Hmm good point now i think on. I suppose notes from Nazi Germany are one very good example. As are US Silver Certificates, from the time when paper was backed by metal.

Didja ever look at a dollar bill, man? There's some spooky s#1+ goin' on there. And it's green too. ---Slater, from Dazed and Confused.