CoinPeople.com

Week 3, Group 8: Exonumia / Oddities

What's hot  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Vote!

• AuldFartte - 1925 USA Norse American Centennial Medal.
    • AuldFartte - 1795 Scottish halfpenny sized Conder Token. Angusshire, Dundee DH-10. Obv: COMMERCE AUGMENTS DUNDEE Rev: DUNDEE HALF PENNY 1795 Old Tower Founded 1189. It really is that blue with reflected light.

Auldfartte needs to enter some ratty coins and medals, then he won't find himself in competition with himself! My vote could have gone either way, but I like blue. Never have been able to tell what they mean by red or red-brown beyond shiny or dark. Blue, now that I can understand.

Having spent my formative years within half a mile of that famous Dundee landmark I can't very well vote against it. I can recall back in the 1960's when some road works were being conducted, a mass grave was unearthed alongside the `Auld Steeple' as is it fondly called by Dundee folks. The bodies concerned were townsfolk executed by english `roundheads' from Oliver Cromwell's armies who had laid seige to the town.

Although the token is from an entirely different era (Napoleonic wars) the `auld steeple' depicted upon it was around long before that time. From one auld farte to another.....that token of yours is a truly magnificent example. If you ever feel like giving it away........

As an aside, the views from the top of the `tower' across the city and over the river Tay are well worth the climb up the stairs.

Ian

Archived