CoinPeople.com

Moving for Coins

jlueke

If you had to pick a place to live based on the current circulating coinage designs, where would you move to?

Somewhere in Iberia, for the weather mostly.

The weather doesn't count just the coin designs. Pretend the weather is like San Diego all over the world for the purpose of this query :ninja:

Australia! Definitely NSW Australia.

But for vacation, the Isle of Man. It has some wonderful coinage too, the designs change often.

Do you like marsupials?

That's because I'm in NSW at the moment :ninja:

Well joke aside, NSW does have pretty interesting coins for it's centennial federation commemorative coin program back in 2001:

929354.jpg

911258.jpg

You can see the rest of the Aussie coins that I pulled out from circulation here: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/austype/aus_decimal.htm Those 50 cents are just too chunky - each of them weight an absurd 1/2 ounce. Too bad they aren't struck in silver. ;)

The 50 cents is just like the early 50 pence over here in the UK, needless to say they soon cut the weight down!

- Clive.

Why Australia?

Because Australian coins are what I am most interested in at the moment. I've gotten a good handle on the decimal coins, but there are always varieties that I miss due to not being able to examine large quantities of the coins in question.

It's bloody hard to keep up with the mint products from Texas, too. Can't afford most of them, and don't want all of them either, but it'd be nice to run down to the local postal counter and pick up what I do want. Or go to the mint itself in Canberra.

I'd also be a lot closer to shops that have more availability in the Pre Decimal series than over here. Seems like every time I see a nice predecimal silver, it's a 43. :ninja:

The weather doesn't count just the coin designs. Pretend the weather is like San Diego all over the world for the purpose of this query ;)

Too many people and fires in San Diego though, and the food and wine are not as good, nor is it full of Iberian babeage. :ninja:

I'd just stay in Chicago. There is virtually nothing you can not buy here. Lousy weather most of the time but whatever you want is available. If you know the right people, right place to go, right time to be there, there is nothing you can not find.

But I'm surprised we don't have two or three MAJOR shows each year. Yeah, yeah, I know about Countryside (won't make it this month :ninja: ) and I know about AMEX or whatever thats called, but no other big conventions that I know of.

Anywhere in the Eurozone ;)

Except you may end up in an place where most coins are Belgian pieces, with all eight denominations having the same obverse (king Albert). :ninja: The Italian ones, for example, are neat though.

Latvia also has some interesting circulating 1 lats commems, like these:

ls1s_a.gifsniegavirs_rev.gif

Christian

France, France, and France. ;)

Based on the country's "current circulating coinage designs" (see the initial post)? Weeeelll ...

Would certainly not mind living in France, but not because of the circulation coinage. Now Iceland is interesting especially if you like sea animals http://www.sedlabanki.is/?PageID=273 and New Zealand also has interesting pieces http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/currency/money/0101459-1.jpg ... What is also interesting is South Africa's language policy for the country's coins.

But coin-wise I would still choose Italy, or maybe Italy with a touch of Greece. Admittedly my knowledge regarding circulating coinage of countries outside Europe and North America is quite limited. So I may decide to "move" elsewhere later, once I see more designs. :ninja:

Christian

Based on the country's "current circulating coinage designs" (see the initial post)? Weeeelll ...

Would certainly not mind living in France, but not because of the circulation coinage. Now Iceland is interesting especially if you like sea animals http://www.sedlabanki.is/?PageID=273 and New Zealand also has interesting pieces http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/currency/money/0101459-1.jpg ... What is also interesting is South Africa's language policy for the country's coins.

But coin-wise I would still choose Italy, or maybe Italy with a touch of Greece. Admittedly my knowledge regarding circulating coinage of countries outside Europe and North America is quite limited. So I may decide to "move" elsewhere later, once I see more designs. :ninja:

Christian

For Euros I do like the French designs the best.

Archived