CoinPeople.com

John D. Larkin 1925 medal

An inexpensive 38 mm bronze medal designed by Julio Kilenyi and struck by Whitehead & Hoag. Kilenyi designed two so-called dollars, HK 738 (1926 Paramount Pictures) and HK 775 (1935 Mark Twain Centennial). Kilenyi also designed the 1932 Olympic participation medal, U.S. presidential medals and other medals honoring famous people, organizations, events and companies.

937364.jpg

The bust of Larkin caught my eye. I thought it was well done.

01.jpg

The reverse shows the Larkin factory in Buffalo, New York. The inset at the top is the original factory building. The company's administration building (extreme right hand edge of image) was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. A postcard shows the buildings:

10pm.jpg

The Larkin Company was founded in 1875 to produce Sweet Home Soap. He was so successful at selling door to door ("soap slinging" or "factory to family"), that his line of soaps expanded and ultimately grew into a variety of household products marketed through more traditional channels, chain stores, and mail order. By joining a Larkin Club, you could buy virtually everything you needed from one source. Larkin's innovations extended to his treatment of his employees. The list of amenities included daily exercise, savings accounts, educational services, men's and women's clubs -- even free coffee. A dental clinic, doctor's office and public library branch were all on-site. An early air conditioning system provided fresh air. His biography, "John D. Larkin: A Business Pioneer" by Daniel I. Larkin was published by Western New York Wares in 1998.

• 6 years later...