CoinPeople.com

My Crazy Plan

jlueke

How does this sound?

I may try to sell most of my coins and build out my numismatic library. Think around $10k total for RIc, SNG copenhagen and a few others. Then I'd like to research the coinage and history in detail starting at the beginning og coinage in Ionia, following the footnotes and catalogs as deeply as possible.

For fun I still have Notgeld,Daniel Dupuis medals, and the uncleaned ancients :ninja:

I've built and sold a number of collections and partial collections over the years. The coins and medals have been a pleasure to own and some I regret selling. My library, on the other hand, continues to grow. I do not sell books from my library. I want them close for when I want to research a topic, just need a reference, or just want to read.

I'm always selling spares but I can never sell duplicates as, with hammered coins, no two are identical.

You can never have too many books! I can immerse myself in one of my 19th Century books on English Coinage for hours!

Good luck with your new journey of collecting!

- Clive.

You should just sell the Dupuis medals... to me. :ninja:

Nah, I'm going to exhibit them first. That and the Notgeld.

I don't understand the terminology. :ninja: Maybe it'll help me appreciate the plan.

RIC = Roman Imperial Coinage. It's the standard reference work for Ancient Roman Coins from the Empire.

More detailed than the general Sear books. Volumes typically sell for a bit over $100 there are 9 or 10 total.

SNG Copenhagen is similar but for Greek coins. It lists the collection of the Danish Royal House in Kopenhagen and is the most comprehensive one of the SNG catalogs (there are many). The originals cam in 42 volumes and are pricey. There were decent reprints in bigger chunks (fewer volumes) and those cost maybe $1500 in total.

With these and some supplementary works you can pretty much identify any coin out there and understand swhen and why it was made in fairly exacting detail. Although often you do have to supplement the information with research on some papers that were published as well.

I bought my RIC set new for just under $1000 with shipping via a best offer on Ebay. I'd like to get the BMC set as well as it has additional analysis of the series. Crawford for Roman Republic is an excellent set. One of these days, I would like to add one or more volumes on the Provincial series. I've not ventured into Greek coins although I like to hold and admire them whenever I can find a dealer to indulge me once they figure out I'm not planning to buy. (I have my favorite dealers for Roman and Celtic and they have no problem with me admiring their Greek stock when the shows are slow. I could spend hours with the Greek coins, but my pocketbook does not match my tastes.)

Spink is offering signed copies of the latest RIC Volume 2 at the NY Intl. Maybe I'll get one of those. I'm not huge into autographs but what the hey. $1000 is good for the set. I'll have to recheck the January auctions. I just stick with copper so Greek coins aren't that expensive. In silver those tetradrachms can eat up just about anyone's budget.

Why bother selling any coins. Just take them all to a bank and deposit them. Now the bank will run them through a counter, a roll machine, put them out there for all the rest of us to find.

I'm not sure my bank would accept Medieval coins... :ninja:

Perhaps I could try vending machines? ;)

Archived