CoinPeople.com

1865/2 British farthing question

Blackhawk

According to Spink there aren't but someone with more detailed literature will be able to tell you.

I see no link though...

Regards,

Clive.

It does seem to have a lower 8, Colin a.k.a. Aboutfarthings would certainly know.

I'll direct him here for you.

Blackhawk,

There are certainly several varieties available, and I do not believe they are as rare as the price books make them out to be, although they are difficult to obtain in higher grades. As of yet there is no real price difference in the different die types, but this mainly due to the fact that they are not identified anywhere with associated rarities. I am aware of a few varieties and am currently trying to identify the different die varieties and scarcities. I have two distinct types listed on my site with images at present, and have images of a few other die varieties ( the one on ebay is not a die I have seen before, it has very peculiar datal alignment). There is also the added issue that some appear to have the 5 struck over a 3 or both 2 & 3.

If you are the owner of either coin, I would certainly be interested in scanned images of the coins to allow me to compare them to the other dies and also to facilitate me adding them to the site. You can contact me via PM or via the website, and as an added bonus you get a mention on the site for your contribution (what more could anyone want :ninja: ). The relevant page for the 1865 farthings is Aboutfarthings 1865 Page

Hi Colin...thanks for the answer. :ninja:

I don't own either of the coins in the links. I was just checking them for grade comparison and noticed the peculiarities with each. I have one that is different than either of these...I'll take some good photos or scans and send them to you, perhaps the one that I have is the "normal" variety.

Bill

Archived