CoinPeople.com

More messy die breaks

I went looking for this piece after seeing Ian's enormous-cud parties casuelles jeton:

ndjetonvisanimirev.jpg

ndjetonvisanimiobv.jpg

I don't have Feuardent (variants of this piece are listed as F 13228-13231 in Gadoury's 1991 Jetons catalogue), and it may be that Gadoury took from Feuardent the description of the die break on the reverse in some strikes.

First description, without die break, listed as F 13228: Apollon debout de face, la main droite sur la hanche, foulant aux pieds un monstre ailé

(Apollo standing face-on, right hand on his hip, trampling on a winged monster)

Second description, with die break, listed as F 13229: Idem avec cassure de coin masquant la figure d'Apollon

(The same as previous, with a die break obscuring Apollo's face)

Third description, with die break, listed as F 13231: Apollon debout de face, la tête écrasée, foulant aux pieds un monstre ailé

(Apollo standing face-on, HIS HEAD SMASHED, trampling on a winged monster)

This is a cheaply-made jeton, probably German. I love the way that the cud completely obliterates Apollo's head.

I went looking for this piece after seeing Ian's enormous-cud parties casuelles jeton:

ndjetonvisanimirev.jpg

ndjetonvisanimiobv.jpg

I don't have Feuardent (variants of this piece are listed as F 13228-13231 in Gadoury's 1991 Jetons catalogue), and it may be that Gadoury took from Feuardent the description of the die break on the reverse in some strikes.

First description, without die break, listed as F 13228: Apollon debout de face, la main droite sur la hanche, foulant aux pieds un monstre ailé

(Apollo standing face-on, right hand on his hip, trampling on a winged monster)

Second description, with die break, listed as F 13229: Idem avec cassure de coin masquant la figure d'Apollon

(The same as previous, with a die break obscuring Apollo's face)

Third description, with die break, listed as F 13231: Apollon debout de face, la tête écrasée, foulant aux pieds un monstre ailé

(Apollo standing face-on, HIS HEAD SMASHED, trampling on a winged monster)

This is a cheaply-made jeton, probably German. I love the way that the cud completely obliterates Apollo's head.

This is indeed a Nuremberg type jeton. I had believed the person to be Hercules / Heracles as similarly depicted on numerous jetons of that era (typical lion skin and club and typically portrayed battering the crap out of some poor creature or another) :ninja:

As an aside, it is harder to find an example without the cud than it is with it, but those with the cud can sometimes make `Hercules' look like someone with a frogs head. I remember when I firrst came across examples similar to the one shown puzzling long and hard over what on earth the figure was supposed to be because the ones I was seeing were pretty well worn and a `cud' was not particularly the first thing that came to mind as being the reason `why'. Yours is a relatively high grade example. Nice one!

My scan of the jeton is lousy (I need to buy a macro stand with lights!) --but under a loupe you can see rays coming from Hercules's/Apollo's head, and there's no lion's head or paws on the cloak, and he's holding a bow, not a club, and you can see the top of a quiver slung over his back... Actually, Heracles was eventually deified, right? But god though he may be, his head is still smashed by the cud. :ninja:

My scan of the jeton is lousy (I need to buy a macro stand with lights!) --but under a loupe you can see rays coming from Hercules's/Apollo's head, and there's no lion's head or paws on the cloak, and he's holding a bow, not a club, and you can see the top of a quiver slung over his back... Actually, Heracles was eventually deified, right? But god though he may be, his head is still smashed by the cud. :ninja:

You're right. The depiction is of `Apollo' with his bow n'arrows. ;)

Archived