CoinPeople.com

Tonawanda Token

Hello together,

my name is Ernst , I was born and raised in Romania but now I live in Germany.

This is my first post on this Forum, I hope that someone can help me.

I collect with(for :ninja: ) my nephew romanian tokens. A few weeks ago I bought this token. The name on it is a romanian one but the town is Tonawanda.

Does anybody know something about this token? Maybe someone from Tonawanda?

j27ek2.jpg

Greetings from Germany. ;) And yes, we actually have a member from Tonawanda (a place near Buffalo, NY, in the US) here - our very own Dockwalliper! Maybe he can help you with that token ...

(Edit: Hmm, same scratches? http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=190162170840 ;) )

Christian

Hi Christian,

you have a good memory.... :ninja:

Same scratches, same piece.... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I searched several city directories between 1880 and 1920 plus a large obit file and didn't find the name anywhere.

Its possable the token is from the Town of Tonawanda and not the city. I left the pic for the local token expert and hope to talk withhim next week. I haven't given up yet.

I got a call from the local token guy this morning. He said this is not a token he has seen before and he would do some research.

He called back about 3 hours later with some info.

George Nicoliciu and his wife Florence first show up in the City of Tonawanda in 1916. He is listed as a laborer in the directory.

In the 1920 directory he is listed as a Poolroom operator(Pool hall, Billiards) his residence was 109 Morgan street and that may also be where the poolroom was located because there is no buisness listing for it. By 1923 he is gone. Probably prohibition put him out of buisness. He must have moved out of the city because there is no obit for anyone with the name on file.

109 Morgan street would be just a couple blocks from my house. I'll have to drive by some time to see the house.

Your token will be added to the next edition of "Tokens of the Tonawandas" could you please tell us its exact size for the listing? I am guessing its aluminum, 23,24 or 25 mm.

Thanks

I got a call from the local token guy this morning. He said this is not a token he has seen before and he would do some research.

He called back about 3 hours later with some info.

George Nicoliciu and his wife Florence first show up in the City of Tonawanda in 1916. He is listed as a laborer in the directory.

In the 1920 directory he is listed as a Poolroom operator(Pool hall, Billiards) his residence was 109 Morgan street and that may also be where the poolroom was located because there is no buisness listing for it. By 1923 he is gone. Probably prohibition put him out of buisness. He must have moved out of the city because there is no obit for anyone with the name on file.

109 Morgan street would be just a couple blocks from my house. I'll have to drive by some time to see the house.

Your token will be added to the next edition of "Tokens of the Tonawandas" could you please tell us its exact size for the listing? I am guessing its aluminum, 23,24 or 25 mm.

Thanks

Hello Dockwalliper,

I am very impressed about the results of your research regarding this token!!! Thank you very much.

The token is made from aluminum and has a diameter of 25,5 mm

If you want better scans, send me your private mail address.

Ernst

Archived