CoinPeople.com

Error coins

Sir Sisu

I am going to try and do this somewhat systematically using Omnicoin. I only have one photo posted so far, but will try and get others up as I find the time. Thus far, all of the samples that I have found are results of die fatigue. Many of them are fairly common as I have found multiples of some. The one I am posting now is the only one like it that I have come across so far, though I'm sure there are probably others out there.

2000 Finland €0.10

935349.jpg

The most common error that I have found on one euro coins is in the date. As the date is incuse, it is often partially filled. Not sure whether this is due more to die fatigue or a filled die.

1999 Finland €1.00

2 partially filled 9s: first and last

935419.jpg

2000 Finland €1.00

die fatigue: zero in date, tail of swan, and numerous areas on the inner planchet.

This one has all sorts of small problems with it; not only in the date but also in the sky, next to the "M", in the lake. It makes me wonder if this is not die fatigue but actually some grease or other foreign objects that have made their way between the dies and damaged them?

935423.jpg

2001 Finland €1.00

Here are three different coins. I am tempted to say that they show a progression of die fatigue, but I am not completely sure. On coin 2, the wing of the left swan shows considerable damage, while the neck of the right swan is fairly minor. Then on coin 3, the blob on the wing is considerably smaller while the damage in the date and on the neck of the right swan is more. :ninja:

coin 1

935426.jpg

coin 2

935429.jpg

coin 3

935431.jpg

Archived