CoinPeople.com

France 1943 10 Centimes variety?

everycountrycoins

Hey CoinPeople,

I have a couple of the reduced size zinc 10 Centime coins from France from 1943. One has an obvious (even shaped) dot beneath the date between the 9 and the 4. The other does not. There is not a dot variety listed in the SCWC. Does anybody have any other resources to suggest that there is a dot variety? Or do you think that there is something else going on here?

Hoping that at least one of you will share your thoughts/expertise,

Bruce Broker

Madison, WI

Don't think there is such a "dot variety" ... maybe that blob is a die or strike error? CGB does not list two varieties either:

http://www.cgb.fr/monnaies/modernes/m12/gb...&nbfic=2290

Christian

As usual, Christian, I'm very glad that you are out there monitoring this forum. You always seem to have some sort of response for me. The main reason I thought that there might be a dot variety was the "perfect" shape and location of the dot. Die or strike errors can occur in any shape and in any location on a coin. If it is an error, it is especially coincidental given that it looks like it is something that is there by design (and during a time period that many other dates of French coins had dots by them).

Maybe somebody else will have something to say on this topic (but I doubt it).

Bruce

Bruce, can you post picture?

Don't be shy. May be you have found a new variety! In my life I have found 2! Both not for my country but now recognized by numismats of these countries! :ninja:

I will have to take it in to work tomorrow and try to scan it there. My camera appears to be worthless for this type of picture!

At this point I am starting to think that Christian is right and that it is a (fairly noticeable) error.

Bruce

Bruce, can you post picture?

Don't be shy. May be you have found a new variety! In my life I have found 2! Both not for my country but now recognized by numismats of these countries! :ninja:

It's a little more obvious in different light, but I'm confident that you will still be able to see it in the picture at

http://www.college.library.wisc.edu/main/s...s/france008.jpg

Archived