CoinPeople.com

Finally put my busties on Omnicoin!

jtryka

Well, with some time off for the Holiday, I had a chance to get on Omnicoin and put up my bust halves. After a good experience with Banknotebank, I thought what the heck! Since most of my bust halves are raw and can't be put on the NGC registry, I thought this was a perfect place to put them. Check them out if you like: My Bust Half Collection

I once cataloged about 150 halves by Overton varieties. It was a collection formed in the early 1900s by a friend's grandfather. I fell in love with those halves. I could not afford to buy the collection, but I kept one as payment--an 1824 over various recuttings (O-103). I sold that piece with other over dates I had collected (1942/1 dime was my real prize piece). I could get hooked on half dollars again. They were the workhorse of currency at the time. Great collection.

Awesome coins, jeff. I don't have any bust halves yet because I'm looking for that perfect one to add to my collection. My main problem with them is the way they wear. I personally think most mid-grade bust halves have some of the ugliest wear patterns. Check out what I mean:

One graded VF:

934440.jpg

One graded XF:

934436.jpg

The first one is great-looking but so many bust halves I see look like the latter.

Remember, it's not always wear that give the coin it's appearance, the earlier halves like the 1810 are often very weakly struck, where the later ones like the 1832 are struck better, so the wear is more pronounced on the high points.

• 1 month later...
Sorry about the pictures, my camera makes them 400x600, but they are automatically resized to 300x300. I did add my last 1809 though! This 1809 vividly illustrates the strike issues on the early ones as I discussed earlier.

Well, now, Jeff, it looks like you have made a few additions to your set. I likey. :ninja: If you ever decide to get rid of that ugly ole 1809--105 (for VF money of course--after all, that's what the slab says ;) )let me know.

As for strange wear patterns on bust halves which are often merely strike problems check the G-4 obverse and VF-25 to 30 reverse on this 1811--113.

1811-113o.jpg1811-113r.jpg

Wow, that has got to be the stragest looking wear patter between obverse and reverse I've ever seen! As for strike, it always makes me think of all the gimpy national birds we must have out there as so many eagles on bust halves have weak left wings (though I suppose it would be their right wing).

Thanks for the kind words bustchaser, as for that O-105, I think it's a keeper for me, though if I ever did sell it, I'm sure it would only be for VF money, after all, how could I ask for more when it says it right there in the plastic! :ninja: I am going to my local show tomorrow, we'll see if I pick up anything interesting.

Archived