CoinPeople.com

U.S. Quarters after 2008?

TreasureGirl

I read through Wikipedia a minute ago and it said that there is a bill in Congress proposing to extend the SQ program to 2009 to include D.C., Guam, Puerto Rico, etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_%28Un..._States_coin%29 Does anyone know if this is true (it IS Wikipedia) and if it has passed or not? Also, have there been any plans for the quarter after the SQ program is finished? I'd sure hate to go back to the boring old Washie... but I expect they'll just redesign it with a forward-facing portrait and release it like they did with the nickel... :ninja:

H.R. 392: District of Columbia and United States Territories Circulating Quarter Dollar Program Act was passed by the house on January 23rd 2007 and sent to the Senate for a vote. On Jan 24, 2007: Received in the Senate and Read twice and referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs where it sits today.

This is the 5th time the law was passed by congress but each time the senate fails to act and the bill dies.(2001,'02,'05,'06,'07) A recent article in Neumismatic News speculated that Senate might act this year because the time is running short to have designs ready. Maybe part of an omnibus coin bill like the one that gave us president dollars, Buffalo Gold and 2009 commemerative cents.

You have to pass a bill to change designs on coins in the US ;)

In the UK, from what I undestand, they do the designs show them to a panel of people & of they approve the design goes ahead, with the portrait of the Queen, IIRC, they show it to her & if she approves it goes ahead.

Seriously somethign as simple as a change in coin designs needs to go through Parliment in the US ;):ninja:

Yes a bill has to be passed in the Congress. Which is why we have ugly and unimaginative coin designs. Unless we can clone Teddy Roosevelt and call it 1907-1916 all over again.

I know I have said this before but the US coisn need a major revamp, they'r just so dull and the new designs are poor. I look back at the coins of the early 20th century from the US and see how they were so much better and compare them to the current designs and just shake my head. The only modern on I like is the Ike $1 and most of them have been melted now :ninja: