CoinPeople.com

The Lincoln 1970-S: two obverse die varieties?

KurtS

Looking through change the other day, I came across an interesting deviation from what I normally see in 70-S cents, shown below in figure . All my other examples of 70-S are exactly as seen in figure [a]. Under a loupe, the position of the "7" in the date is slightly higher in example , with the most apparent difference the position of the mint mark. (Click to view full-sized, as some of the lines drop out reduced)

(photos taken down due to security issues)

Checking resources on the 70-S small date [c], and comparing to my example [d], I note a distinct difference in the position of the "S".

It's intriguing how there are obviously several varieties to the 70-S die in addition to the "large" and "small" versions.

(photos taken down due to security issues)

I think this one boils down to die fatigue and placement of the mintmarks. Die fatigue can make things seem slightly different when they are not, if you compare A, B, and C you see various degrees of sharpness in the numbers and slight movement of the metal from the machines vibrating. None of this is out of the ordinary, and I doubt are different varieties.

The mintmarks are a completely different mess all together. Mintmarks are found in slightly different positions on nearly every new die that is produced. Grab a handful of the same years with mintmarks, they are rarely in the same spot. Even with the mintmarks being placed on by machines, they still appear in slightly different areas below the date.

It is nice however that you were able to notice such a small difference in the coins. You sound to be an avid and observant cherry picker.

I think this one boils down to die fatigue and placement of the mintmarks. Die fatigue can make things seem slightly different when they are not, if you compare A, B, and C you see various degrees of sharpness in the numbers and slight movement of the metal from the machines vibrating. None of this is out of the ordinary, and I doubt are different varieties.

This is what I like about this forum--I'm always learning something new--thanks! And yes, I did notice the numbering looked softer on coin , but I was unsure of the cause. And thanks...I guess I have a pretty good eye for details. :ninja:

Hi Kurt,

Wow! you really do have a good eye and memory.

Comparing these slight differences in coin devices is difficult. And your pictures are great! There sure is a lot I need to learn about taking the pictures and getting them on this forum in the way I intended. Oh well...

Maybe we should set up 'our own system' for 'errors' so we can get some recognition for the job well done. :ninja:

Corky

There sure is a lot I need to learn about taking the pictures and getting them on this forum in the way I intended. Oh well...

Maybe we should set up 'our own system' for 'errors' so we can get some recognition for the job well done. :ninja:

Corky

Thanks Corky! I have a bit of experience with macro photography, and I actually shot this hand-held using a Nikon D70-S and the fantastic Nikkor 60mm micro lens. And, to ensure both coins were at the same scale, I shot these in the same photo and re-composed the details.

I may have an eye for detail, but I first need to learn the accepted methodology for diagnosing varieties/errors and then perhaps apply my own ideas.

Looking through change the other day, I came across an interesting deviation from what I normally see in 70-S cents, shown below in figure . All my other examples of 70-S are exactly as seen in figure [a]. Under a loupe, the position of the "7" in the date is slightly higher in example , with the most apparent difference the position of the mint mark. (Click to view full-sized, as some of the lines drop out reduced)

70scomparo3.jpg

Checking resources on the 70-S small date [c], and comparing to my example [d], I note a distinct difference in the position of the "S".

It's intriguing how there are obviously several varieties to the 70-S die in addition to the "large" and "small" versions.

comparo2.jpg

According to thecentproject site, they have what I found the easiest marker. A crease in the seven which is only present on large date.

http://www.thecentproject.com/sort1970.php

Archived