CoinPeople.com

Proof Sets in Screwdowns

TreasureGirl

How well do these screwdowns protect pre-1965 proof sets? I'm asking for a set with silver in it for Christmas but I don't know if the screwdowns work well enough or if I should re-package them myself. Thoughts?

Thanks,

TG

I'm assuming you are talking about Capital Plastics lucite holders? I have always like them myself. They look good, the provide a good degree of protection (from finger prints. scuffs, and the like. They are not air tight, but the coins can be easily removed unlike slabs. (Obviously I have a distaste for slabs.)

Hi Treasure,

With all the packets and clads and proofs I have opened lately, I think the cellophane wrappers are the worse.

Yes, I have been very naughty and gotten myself sets of Dansco albums with proof and silver proof holes, and have been using one of each uncirc, clad and proof sets I have to fill these albums.

So far the older sets, i.e., the 60's era in the hard plastic style holders have been the better preserved. And, as far as my money is concerned, the best quality minted coins of any others I have purchased. Most of them have been almost as perfect as they could possibly be. With that said, I have seen a couple of sets in the hard plastic holders at the coin shop that have discoloration. So one does need to search them carefully.

I hope you get more than one set for Christmas!

Corky

Will silicon release any type of gas that may effect the coins???

RTV silicone does have an acid in it. If you put rtv on galvanized metal it will rust where it made contact. But I don't know if it would gas off and affect the metals in coins.

I don't know if it will or not it was just a thought there is also some clear type of tape that might work. There is also different types of adhesive that might work better than silicone.

I apologize for not being more specific: you're saying that these 52ab_1.jpg are better than these b37c_1.jpg

Right? If so, that's what I needed to know! Thanks!

Well there is something else that you should consider here. If you ever think of selling your Proof sets, I absolutely guarantee that they will bring higher prices in the original packaging than they will if they are in Captial holders. So by placing them in the Capital holders you could lose a significant percentage of value.

All tapes like that will have glue, which has chemicals, which might and probably will cause reactions.

I never thought about the type but your right I would just leave them alone.

Well one other idea hit what whould a freezer bag do the small ones or large they are airtight.

So... buy in the Capital Holders to begin with?

Usually you are better off to collect Proof sets in original packaging. When selling the sets, most dealers ask about the same price for orignal sets as they do those sets in the holders. But when buying them, most dealers will offer about half what they will for original sets. Doesn't seem right I know, but that is how it is.

So if you are going to buy them you may as well buy original sets.

Archived