CoinPeople.com

New addition to my collection of pyataka

bobh

Here it is -- enjoy looking!

1781/0-EM

Picked this one up for a very reasonable price in a "Buy it Now" auction on eBay. It wasn't advertised as an overdate, but fortunately there were good enough auction pictures to see it. :ninja:

Thanks, Steve. :ninja: BTW, are there any plans to do an RNS article about copper overdates, or have there been any published in the past?

Hi Bob. I wasn't planning to write one any time soon (too many other articles on the pipeline). The Brekke/Bakken supplement has tables which are often quoted but they probably need updating with the new discoveries that are published in the JRNS as they appear. Personally I think it would be good for new tables or even a general overdating article ;)

However, RWJ is editor of the JRNS so he's a much better person to ask.

Steve

Hi Bob. I wasn't planning to write one any time soon (too many other articles on the pipeline). The Brekke/Bakken supplement has tables which are often quoted but they probably need updating with the new discoveries that are published in the JRNS as they appear. Perosnally I think it would be good for new tables or even a general overdating article

However, RWJ is editor of the JRNS so he's a much better person to ask.

Steve

There are no plans at present for such an article but I know that Tom Bakken is still planning a

further update to the Brekke work on copper. Tom has been very thorough in listing overdates

and I expect the next work, when published, will be as complete as possible

In RNS Journal 70 (summer 2000) I did an article on the 5 kopecks of Ekaterinburg issued from

1763 to 1796 and listed all of the overdates known to me at that time. There are two main varieties of the

1781/0 overdate, for example, one on a 40mm planchet and the other on a 43mm planchet. (The

EM mint was experimenting with different size planchets in the early 1780s to determine the best

size for improved die life.)

RWJ

There are no plans at present for such an article but I know that Tom Bakken is still planning a

further update to the Brekke work on copper. Tom has been very thorough in listing overdates

and I expect the next work, when published, will be as complete as possible

That's very good news! :ninja:

In RNS Journal 70 (summer 2000) I did an article on the 5 kopecks of Ekaterinburg issued from

1763 to 1796 and listed all of the overdates known to me at that time. There are two main varieties of the

1781/0 overdate, for example, one on a 40mm planchet and the other on a 43mm planchet. (The

EM mint was experimenting with different size planchets in the early 1780s to determine the best

size for improved die life.)

RWJ

Thanks, RWJ ... I must have that back issue somewhere here at home.

This coin has a diameter of 41 mm and weight of 45.4 g ... I suppose it would be the first variety, then?