CoinPeople.com

1995 50 ruble MMD found

gxseries

I have been cleaning out and slowly cataloguing what I have. Good grief, I still haven't bothered to catalogue the entire corroded copper hoard due to my laziness. :ninja: That mysterious 1795/88 MM 1 kopek has been grabbing quite a lot of my time.

This perhaps is one of the more uncommon coins that you might find in a pile of Russian coins. I'm sure in Russia it might be very very common but I find it a bit tougher than most coins.

Here is the image of the 1995 50 ruble coin that I am talking about:

933743.jpg

At first glance, common sense will tell you that I need to wear the right lens or too drunk. ;)

But look at the edge, this is another different matter as you can see on the right:

1995edges1pn9.jpg

This is actually a plated 50 ruble coin - appearently the only denomination struck in 1995. I'm not too sure why but perhaps the other coins have no obvious tell sign whereas this coin is struck on a cheaper planchet as it's plated steel. As you know, steel is quite cheap compared to Nicupro. ;)

Now I need to find the 1995 LMD 50 rubles. Perhaps that's going to be a challenge. Any of you guys collect the short period of the circulated modern Russian coins? (1992,3) They were only struck for 2 (or rather 3) years but that can be quite a challenge. ;)

I have been cleaning out and slowly cataloguing what I have. Good grief, I still haven't bothered to catalogue the entire corroded copper hoard due to my laziness. :ninja: That mysterious 1795/88 MM 1 kopek has been grabbing quite a lot of my time.

This perhaps is one of the more uncommon coins that you might find in a pile of Russian coins. I'm sure in Russia it might be very very common but I find it a bit tougher than most coins.

Here is the image of the 1995 50 ruble coin that I am talking about:

At first glance, common sense will tell you that I need to wear the right lens or too drunk. ;)

But look at the edge, this is another different matter as you can see on the right:

This is actually a plated 50 ruble coin - appearently the only denomination struck in 1995. I'm not too sure why but perhaps the other coins have no obvious tell sign whereas this coin is struck on a cheaper planchet as it's plated steel. As you know, steel is quite cheap compared to Nicupro. ;)

Now I need to find the 1995 LMD 50 rubles. Perhaps that's going to be a challenge. Any of you guys collect the short period of the circulated modern Russian coins? (1992,3) They were only struck for 2 (or rather 3) years but that can be quite a challenge. ;)

Yup!

That one is minted 1995 - Youre right...

Moscow one - is a really common - but marked LMD steel one - even in Russia cost a serious money - about 5-6 USD

IMHO due to low mintage and very short circulation time.

Basilio, I am just wondering, what is a good site for such coins? I have checked out this site "Samara Numismatics" and the address is: http://coins.lave.ru/pogodovka1991/ I guess it may be because he's based in St. Petersburg and he's got quite a fair bit of coins. ;) The only thing I found much challenging is the different alloys used in 1993 as well as I don't have any example of 1993 20 rubles which seems to be a real challenge.

Also, why is there only this particular coin struck in 1995 but not other denominations? Why not make new dies in 1995? :ninja: I know the economic situation in Russia wasn't too good but was there a need to strike coin with the old year?

I am still slowly updating what I have which can be seen here (quite big unfortunately) http://www.gxseries.com/numis/rus_new_type/1992_2007.htm

Yup!

Moscow one - is a really common - but marked LMD steel one - even in Russia cost a serious money - about 5-6 USD

Look at this site - http://arcamax.ru/price_reg92.htm

Information almost coerrect.. for a few months ago..

I"m not sure about a date - sleet 50 rubles came into circulation actually in 1995 - thats why ( IMHO) it is called 95...

• 1 month later...

To me the LMD seems to be more common. I have not a singe MMD, but have had and still have more than one LMD's. Lucky? :ninja:

899708.jpg

• 1 year later...
Yup!

Due to short circulation time in Moscow. And it is valued about $3 only in Moscow. In St Petersburg steel LMD 50 rouble coins are common and cost almost nothing.

Archived