CoinPeople.com

5kop1758 no mintmark

sigistenz

Hi, literature says that these were minted in Ekaterinburg and Sestrorezk. Bitkin lists each of the 2 mints and uses exactly the same picture for each of them. I don't read Russian and have no access to Russian literature or forums. Have there been attempts to distinguish the two? There are, however distinct variants, take alone the style of the 5 in the date. All my Catherine II Sestrorezk 5kop coins (1763,1764,1765,1766) have wide netting on the edge, different from EM's narrow netting. Are there 1758-- 5 kop with wide netting and could that indicate the CM mint? See my coin below. From one reason or another it has an old plug at the right of the 58, and on the eagle side correspondingly at the left of the scepter. Has anyone an explanation for that? Thank you everybody for your comments to come. Sigi

5kop1758wd2.jpg

By sigistenz

Hi, literature says that these were minted in Ekaterinburg and Sestrorezk. Bitkin lists each of the 2 mints and uses exactly the same picture for each of them. I don't read Russian and have no access to Russian literature or forums. Have there been attempts to distinguish the two? There are, however distinct variants, take alone the style of the 5 in the date. All my Catherine II Sestrorezk 5kop coins (1763,1764,1765,1766) have wide netting on the edge, different from EM's narrow netting. Are there 1758-- 5 kop with wide netting and could that indicate the CM mint? See my coin below. From one reason or another it has an old plug at the right of the 58, and on the eagle side correspondingly at the left of the scepter. Has anyone an explanation for that? Thank you everybody for your comments to come. Sigi

Theoretically, it ought to be possible to distinguish between the two mints for 1758.

Your suggestion of the edging tools is a good one. Another idea would be to compare

the eagles, wreaths, and crowns on issues known to be from Ekaterinburg with the

illustrated 1758 piece. One could start with 1762 and work backwards, for example.

I do not know of any published work in this area.

RWJ

• 8 years later...

Hi Eugene, the coin we were talking about is the 5kop1758-no mintmark from the upcoming NY-sale. Upon your inquiry they sent you a pixcture of its edge (above). As we know the 5kop1758 no mintmark dies were made in St.Petersburg whereas the coins were struck in both Sestroretsk and Ekaterinburg. It is possible - even likely, that St.Petersburg struck some test coins, too.

Where was the NY-sale coin struck? That is the question. I think each of the 3 mints had their own edging tool(s). Maybe they differed slightly as to width of the meshes or angles of the net. it would take close comparison of each of the 3 mints' edge of 1758 coins to get an idea. With the very few coins I have on hand it is difficult. The MM (Moscow Mint) had wider meshes, but they are not of interest here.

Sorry to not have a more precise idea..

Sigi

:sorry:

I'll be checking against the edges of the ones I have later, probably in a New Year now. I'll let you know whatever Idea I'll have... but of cause, the bigger the "test" group, the easier to pass the judgement with any degree of certainty...