CoinPeople.com

ebay coins

muskydude

HELLO I HAVE PURCHASED A FEW COINS FROM A E-BAY SELLER NAMED JOJAX HE HAS 379 POSITIVE FEED BACKS LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE THAT HAS PURCHASED FROM HIM SAYS THE COINS ARE GREAT.HERE IS MY QUESTION WHAT HE IS DOING IS PLACING THE VALUE OF THE COINS FROM THE PCGS BUT THE COINS ARE BEING GRADED BY THE GALLERY GRADING COMPANY ALL COINS ARE PACKAGED WITH THE GRADING CONDITION ON THEM BY THIS COMPANY. FOR INSTANCE A 1955 MS-68 RED PENNY HAS A VALUE OF 6500 DOLLARS BUT HE SOLD IT FOR 14 WHATS THE REAL DEAL HERE WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT. THANK YOU I HAVE ADDED AN ATTACHMENT OF ONE OF THE COINS. SEE WHAT YOU THINK.

f1_2.JPG

Really tricky from that picture. Look, there is obviously a catch to this and you failed to see what is going on. He did say that if it's a PCGS holder, didn't he? There is a reason why PCGS has a brand name to it, and although it's service quite expensive, their analysis are usually very anal or rather sometimes unfair to people from time to time, but they are usually fairly accurate, rather than some quick-to-scam-cheap-and-make-ebay-sellers-happy companies. Usually those companies have a tendency to grade their coins around 3 grades higher, which obviously have a great value impact.

As for the value, and the grade of it, I believe BiggAndyy can answer that better than I can.

Ebay can be quite a scam site if you don't know how to read things properly... :ninja:

(Thanks for the props gx!)

BTW: the seller is JOJAX22, not jojax.

Here is an example of the coins he is selling:

43_1_b.JPG

First, it is obvious that coin is NOT a Deep Cameo and I would doubt the grade Proof 69 even from that fuzzy image.

Here is there website: http://www.gallerycoins.com/

They appear to be a 'self slabber', that is, he (or they) go around and find the coins they want to slab, put them in the holders and sell them to specific resellers around the internet.

Here is a thread about them at coin community:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=751

You get what you pay for, sometimes.

It's been said about 500,000,000 times but I'll take this opportunity to say it again. You need to know what you are buying and buy the coin - not the slab. :ninja:

There I said it.

If you are buying slabbed, sight-unseen, high dollar, go with a well know service like ANACS, PCGS, NGC - they each have specialties so you need to learn that. Make sure you have a return on everything unless you know the seller quite well.

Above all --- have fun.

It's been said about 500,000,000 times but I'll take this opportunity to say it again. You need to know what you are buying and buy the coin - not the slab. :ninja:

There I said it.

If you are buying slabbed, sight-unseen, high dollar, go with a well know service like ANACS, PCGS, NGC - they each have specialties so you need to learn that. Make sure you have a return on everything unless you know the seller quite well.

Above all --- have fun.

Unless, of course, you are a slab collector. ;)

This seller and shadowzen66 are the only sellers that I've found so far that sell Gallery Grading Company slabs. There is conjecture that these ID's are one and the same person and that person also owns GGC (or is creating the slabs in the basement). I have not seen one that looks like it was graded accurately.

At one point, I emailed both of these sellers asking about GGC. They both recommended that I look on the site. The location of GGC and the towns that both of these sellers are located in are about 35 miles apart. A little too coincidental for my taste.... :ninja:

This seller and shadowzen66 are the only sellers that I've found so far that sell Gallery Grading Company slabs. There is conjecture that these ID's are one and the same person and that person also owns GGC (or is creating the slabs in the basement). I have not seen one that looks like it was graded accurately.

At one point, I emailed both of these sellers asking about GGC. They both recommended that I look on the site. The location of GGC and the towns that both of these sellers are located in are about 35 miles apart. A little too coincidental for my taste.... :ninja:

Or brother's. Or father and son. Or any other combination of family you want to stick together. What's the old saying... "thick as thie...."