CoinPeople.com

Commonwealth Half Groat

YeOldeCollector

Notice this coin does not have the Scottish lion crest on it. Aside from a few punitive forays, the Republicans pretty much stayed out of Scotland and left it to it's own device. Incredibly Charles II was recognised as King in Scotland, and coins bearing his cypher were circulated during what was the Commonwealth era in England. But Chuck had to sell his soul to the devil to get that lacklustre support from Scotland, for he really was not popular nor was his father Chuck the I who made but one foray into Scotland after his accession to be crowned in 1633, note he became King in 1625, but neglected Scotland all the whiles. Chucky was rather unpopular in Scotland, even though a Scot by birthright, but his religious affiliation was right subject to doubt amongst the powers that be, and when he did finally ascend the throne in England he was rather tolerant of the loathed Papists Now researchers believe he was a closet Catholic, and may have actually converted to said confession on his death bed. No doubt Catherine of Braganza, his wife, and official breeding partner played a due part in that. But whatever his faith, he definately have more faith in the power and desire of the flesh, for he have a reported minimum of 27 offspring borne out of the bounds of wedlock.

Ah British history, so interesting, so much intrigue, sex, murder etc. And people think modern history art fascinating.

Many thanks Dave,

Not sure it will all fit onto my coin ticket though... lol

You certainly know your stuff mate!

Very interesting. Whenever I read this type of history I'm reassured that with all its faults our elected officials process is so much better than passing the reigns by birthright.

oo chrales was actually a catholic in secret !!! didnt know that ;) tnx for the info dave im a brit history nut ;) too bad cant take history in a lvls ;) ohh well an btw nice coin yeolde :D i always wondered what the commonwealth coins looked like ;) thought it would have a pic of oliver cormwell or atleast a sign of him :D oh well :D simple is always nice :ninja:

RD,

There are coins with Cromwell on but they are considered 'patterns' and to buy a decent one would set you back several thousands of US$ lol

They are simple by design, one of the reasons I like them! Then you can go to the other extreme and get really intricate designs on hammered coins, especially the gold coins of the Plantagenet reigns e.g. Angels, Half-Angels, Nobles etc...

oo chrales was actually a catholic in secret !!! didnt know that ;) tnx for the info dave im a brit history nut ;) too bad cant take history in a lvls ;) ohh well an btw nice coin yeolde :D i always wondered what the commonwealth coins looked like ;) thought it would have a pic of oliver cormwell or atleast a sign of him :D oh well :D simple is always nice :ninja:

Yes as was his brother and next on the throne James II. Although James II was more open about his religion which led to his downfall. After he became king he attempted to force Catholicism on England. This angered the Protestant Parliament who in--turn turned to William of Orange urging him to save England from a Catholic takeover. Williams forces landed in England in

November 1688. The mostly Protestant army did not put up a fight and James II was forced to flee to France. James II made one attempt to regain the crown, but his French and Irish forces were easily defeated.

James II ended up spending the rest of his life and dying in France.

Nice coin YeOldeCollector. I have a Commonwealth half groat too but unfotunetly it is holed.

• 3 years later...

Just for interest after the battle of the Boyne the irish called James II "seamus o'cakha" which translated from the Gaelic as "James the shit"

Archived