CoinPeople.com

Which coin to put in U.S. Type set?

TreasureGirl

I have two Peace dollars - one is in a USGS slab, 1923 MS 66 grade, purchased at $160. The other is in a regular cardboard flip, a BU 1922 purchased for $16. My type set will be stored in Airtites and my Peace set will be stored in the Whitman classic albums. Which coin should go in which collection?

Thanks for replying to such a mundane question.

Take it from experience the coins can and will tone in an album. Put the the most expensive coins in airtites and be thankful, down the road, that you did. I had almost all of my collection in albums for years including my Morgan dollars and they ALL came out and went in airtites within a few years. I like my unc. coins to stay unc. and the albums over a period of time failed me and the coins. There are a lot of factors involved such as humidity, temperature and where the albums are actually stored and I removed all those worries by simply using airtites which can be bought in bulk to save money. I have NEVER had a coin tone in an airtite but have had them tone in slabs!!! Needless to say I don't keep slabs very long either!

Perhaps it would be advisable to drop the whole Whitman Classic album idea for my Peace, Liberty Walking, SLQs and Mercs and just put them all in Airtites?

Leave you coins in the Whitman Album. There are many that have had poor luck with albums, some with airtights, some with slabs. I have been using Whitman folders, then the normal albums and now the Classic Albums for well over 60 years. I have now well over 100 Whitman Classic Albums. Mostly all full. So far in well over 60 years no sign of toning, corroding, contaminating of any kind. NONE, and I mean none. The reason is even as a kid in the early 1940's I was smart enough to realize that if no air can get to a coin, nothing will happen. So even back then all folders and then albums were put into plastic bags with as much air pushed out as possible. Now I use freezer type zip lock bags. One for each Album. They are not expesive and well worth it. So far no problems with any coins. Many coins from when I was a kid still look as new as when I put them there. Maybe in a few hundred years something will still happen and if so I'll let you know.

People that have problems with coins toning, fading, corroding, etc in an album just do not protect them sufficiently. Another thing is the place where you keep any of your coins. If in a high humidity area, eventually moisture will get to your coins if only in an album and even in 2s2's. Note that in places like Egypt many things stay as they were for thousands of years due to lack of humidity. I would suggest you get a Hygrometer and measure the humidity in your home. If excessive, a dehumidifier may be in order.

I like that idea, JC. How often do you get the albums out to look at them?

And, if I ask you which brand of bag you use, is that considered advertising?

Archived