CoinPeople.com

Elizabeth I Penny

YeOldeCollector

Thought that this might like to be updated as it hasn't been in a while!

Elizabeth I Penny, 2nd Issue, Mint Mark Martlet clearly visible above the bust. 1560-1 Spink 2588

Martlet1.JPG

martlet2.JPG

Will add more Hammered coins to these sections throughout the week.

All the best,

Clive.

As English monarchs go, QEI has to be one of the most fascinating, think, a determined and head strong woman ruling an entire nation for almost 40 years! Her coinage was remarkable, a reflection not only of good design, but also of firm monetary policy under Sir Thomas Gresham, one of her advisers, "Bad money drives out good" was a famous quote attributed to him. Her reign marked the first reign in some time whence sound monetary policy with coinage of full weight and fineness was again a matter of high importance, something I believe strengthened her hold on the government.

I cannot think of another monarch whose portrait is so telling of that person as QEI, surely as monarchial portraiture they rank at the most collectable of English coinages.

Thanks for sharing your piece.

Richard,

You are right, nowadays mint marks are illegible so it makes a change to have a clear bird staring at me. Aids identification too, a lot easier with a crisp coin like this anyway. I sold off most of my Lizzie's to American collectors but couldn't part with this beauty!

All the best,

Clive.

Nowadays some American collectors would probably rather part with the pieces, and for me I would take my payment in £ thank you. The good old days of a strong dollar weighing in favour of American collectors have gone away for awhile I think. I think twice before buying from Europe now. I have to really really want before I get stuff from there. With sterling at $2/£1 it is a bite on the budget.

Quite a few of the hammered coins and other artifacts I sell are snapped up by Canadians and Americans. Some people say it is due to America's lack of Ancient History and others say it is fascination with English history. I don't know and wouldn't like to make any judgements but all of the dealings in the US have been superb!

Quite a few Britons will go to New York this winter to buy stuff for Christmas as the pound-dollar rate is in our favour, as you say lol

I dont think it is either...I have had euros (in not the nicest of terms at all...contempt) talk about such things, saying that americans collect ancient coins because they have no history all the while using insulting terms... I have traveled the world and have been many places but they are always smiles in person and contempt on the internet...I dont judge them though as I am sure, just like with ugly americans...there are ugly brits and ugly europeans. We have a strong wonderful history... Its more often just an interest in western history or history in general. I buy coins from all over including america...I am not obsessed with anyones history but a fan of history in general...this has nothing to do with america and ITS history as I am fascinated with american history as well...

See, I would never allow myself to live under a queen or a king...say what you want about american government...but I would not want to live anywhere else (well...maybe Norway...I was there on business and damn those women!!!) and I am proud of america and its accomplishments and feel lucky to have been born here. I have been to Nigeria, Pakistan, Mexico, India, etc...I know how bad it could have been for me elsewhere...I will not debate american history or politics here at all...america is not popular even with some Americans and I wont bicker about it…I will just say I am happy to be american.

But I AM interested in the history of kings and queens (though I detest the concept) and world history in general. Mainly because it is also MY history. whether one likes to hear it or not...we americans are blessed with 2 or more histories....We of course have american history...but each and every one of us also share in the history of the nations we come from...in my case Germany and Ireland....So I have 3 nations or more that I can count as MY history...my wife is from Pakistan...she now has 2 histories.

But in the end...like anywhere regardless of where they are from...we like history...I dont care what nation it is or time period...history is interesting to me and where US history begins....we go further back and we are in europes (or asia, africa where ever we come from).

So always know when you sell that coin to an american...its probably his or her history as well...someone in the past decided to come to the new world...but at the time this coin was minted my family was in ireland or germany or somewhere over there...not in america :ninja:

Drusus,

A nice reply! That actually makes things a lot clearer for me, as America is a relatively modern country most of the civilians have many different nationalities in their family tree, I can trace mine back about 300 years and still end up with English people lol

Most of the stuff I do sell to America is for teaching purposes, i.e. a collector of US Dimes teaches English at college and buys a Lizzie sixpence to show their students a bit more about Shakespearian life etc...

I like history in general but have never really traveled anywhere else to look at history of a culture about from a Battlefields trip in France and Belgium and then a week in Italy touring Rome. So I prefer British history as it is something I feel closer to, like you say about Irish and German.

I wouldn't mind living in the US of A to be honest, nice people, nice food and a diverse culture. It is a metropolis where each city and state has its own unique features.

All the best,

Clive.

P.S. I know what you mean about Norwegian women!!! :ninja:

:ninja:

I'm not the one for alcohol. Will drink the odd beer, bubbly and wine though, but am not too partial to alcohol in general lol

Shiner is a decent American Beer :ninja:

Thanks for the kind words about americans as well...I didnt want to come off as ultra sensitive about it...These days they are few and far between from people across the pond.

But you are right…I have coins from all over…my only interest in the coins are aesthetics and history…I am not driven by American history or lack of…other nations history is interesting to me as is my own.

A person from Aberdeen (where my company has an office) came to visit. I was the guy who was elected to show him around and I sat there listening to him bash us all as a bunch of Homer Simpsons...I gave him a work shirt when we went to the plant and like many work shirts in America it has a US flag patch (pretty standard for work jumpsuits)...he marked it out with black ink...I took my leave of him then...I have gone to Aberdeen many times and although it is Gray, Cold, and the food stinks I keep it to myself ;) I kid...most of the people there are very nice and the countryside is gorgeous.

While in Norway I was at a resturant eating alone and there were some french and german people sitting at a table next to me and they spoke of nothing else but the US...mostly poorly...funny...they found common ground ;)

I am not ultra patriotic and realize the US has many faults but still...to bash people or stereotype them all because of some shows a lack of understanding of human nature...we are all human with the same traits...and let me be the first to say I hate it when I see people from the US bashing other nations (like the French) or going to other countries and acting the fool...US history is interesting to me…all nations are guilty of mistakes and have shady times in the past colonialism in Europe…our treatment of the native Americans…whatever…take the good with the bad. I think we have done rather well in the short time we have been around…I would love to show you around if you ever make it here…everything is my treat.

The US people are like people anywhere...you get you good and bad...smart...not so smart...educated...uneducated...nice...jerks...whatever...

I have been to the UK many times and to be honest...its a great place...I enjoyed looking at the castles in Scotland and driving in the country side...I like the diversity of London...and the people on the whole are very nice...take care and I will stop diverting this thread. ;)

I would love to show you around if you ever make it here…everything is my treat.

If I make it there? lol You make it sound like you will kill me mate!

I know, perhaps when I'm older and wiser I would like to travel across parts of America for a few months and absorb the culture, sights and activities.

When you ever come to Surrey or London, if you make it hear as the pond is quite large, let me know lol

I know what you mean, lets just say that the British doesn't have a very good track record with the French but we do, however, with the Americans.

BTW did the guy from Aberdeen ever 'make it back'? Perhaps you drove your car into a pond with the boot locked... lol

All the best,

Clive.

Sorry got to join in :ninja: I like Americans, I like American history and I love Baseball LOL I also like most Europeans including the French ;) One thing I will say though is Americans can be there own worst enemies, I have noticed that a critisism of there Goverment can be construed as a attack on them all & this realy is not the case. I also have found Americans to be extreemly generouse & kind hearted ;)

Don't be sorry Orc, I'm quite enjoying this political topic lol

I agree with you on the generous and benevolent bit, not too keen on base ball though. American foot ball yes, although they don't tend to use their feet much. I was playing it earlier, got into the hang of it lol

IMO all American sports suck except basketball. As for football it can be just as exciting and thrilling as watching golf, all in slowwwww motion. It is funny when you compare American sports to what the rest of the world calls Football, there can be no comparison on fan base, enthusiasm etc. There are no sports teams, even the Yankees and the BoSox that exude the fan base of say Manchester United does.

I know more about David Beckham and Posh Spice than I do many American sports heros, and hardly anyone follows the LA Galaxy or his old Spanish team here.

A person from Aberdeen (where my company has an office) came to visit. I was the guy who was elected to show him around and I sat there listening to him bash us all as a bunch of Homer Simpsons...I gave him a work shirt when we went to the plant and like many work shirts in America it has a US flag patch (pretty standard for work jumpsuits)...he marked it out with black ink...I took my leave of him then...I have gone to Aberdeen many times and although it is Gray, Cold, and the food stinks I keep it to myself smile.gif I kid...most of the people there are very nice and the countryside is gorgeous.

There are many in America that have very similar opins of the French. Frankly I find it difficult to hate whole groups or races of people based on a minority of idiots that are the vocal loudmouths.

Its good when people can stay civil in discussion like this. When I say make it here...I mean...well...its far away and I am in Houston and I would think other places in America might be more of a typical destination when visiting America for pleasure.

I am less guilty of taking comments about the government personally than attacks on the American people and the country as a whole. I can handle gripes about foreign policy, this leader or that, the war...but when someone says that all Americans are fat stupid and lazy, thats just bashing us all. To be honest I just dont like generalizations all together... like people who seem to think the majority of people around them are stupid. It seems to me where ever I go I see people from other nations that fit every American stereotype. I see fat people in the UK and Nigeria...I see nationalistic people from all over...I have seen racism most places I go, materialism, greed...there are stupid people everywhere...

As for the guy from Aberdeen, I am sure he made it just fine and nobody got on his case, they just thought it was rude or the wrong, place, time, to make a statement. When I am in other countries I do not do such things...

BTW...not a fan of sports...I like Rugby but that is non-existant on TV here...even with expanded cable :ninja:

I wonder how many know that the USA has just taken part in the Rugby World Cup :D and to be quite honest about it have done very well, but sunday is the big day as they get to play South Africa ;) Unfortunatly I will miss the game as I will be at the London Dome watching my other love ICE HOCKEY :ninja:;) LA Kings v Anaheim Ducks yep folks top class hockey in London ;);)

Archived