CoinPeople.com

81d one cent...post mint damage?

daggit

Hi Daggit,

I checked my 81 d's ( have two bu rolls of them), and them my 84 d's, to see if it might be possible yours was an 84 that got less than it should have at the mint. The '1' is quite wide, and I don't think the metal came from it. The '4' on 84's that I have does not go that far down on on the coin compared to the '8' for it to have been a '4'. After the comparisons, I am beginning to think yours might be more like a rectangular die chip that found its way to that spot on your coin.

Of course, I am not an expert. And I am not sure I am making any sense here.

All I know is what I guess at when I find some sort of anomaly on the coins I search.

Corky

Hi Daggit,

I checked my 81 d's ( have two bu rolls of them), and them my 84 d's, to see if it might be possible yours was an 84 that got less than it should have at the mint. The '1' is quite wide, and I don't think the metal came from it. The '4' on 84's that I have does not go that far down on on the coin compared to the '8' for it to have been a '4'. After the comparisons, I am beginning to think yours might be more like a rectangular die chip that found its way to that spot on your coin.

Of course, I am not an expert. And I am not sure I am making any sense here.

All I know is what I guess at when I find some sort of anomaly on the coins I search.

Corky

Hi Corky, thanks for checking it out anyway. I'm definately no expert ;) ...and yes you made sense! Thanks :ninja:

Daggit

Hi Corky, thanks for checking it out anyway. I'm definately no expert ;) ...and yes you made sense! Thanks :ninja:

Daggit

Maybe it is more fun to guess than get an expert answer... ;)

Until all the anomalies and their examples are written up in books, I will continue my guessing... hey, after all, someone has to be right at some time or another and why can't it be one of us newbies... even the experts were once newbies... (bet they don't remember that far back)...

Corky (coin detective in training)... : ;)

Umm...this is a normal 1981 cent that has counting machine damage - just like Becky said.

It's definitely not a 1984 cent, a number of things make that rather impossible. For one, 1984 cents are zinc, and this one is definitely copper. Second, this coin has the larger date style of 1981, not like a 1984 at all. Third, the digit is the wrong size and in the wrong place to be a 4.

The reason it's fat is because the top half of the digit was shaved off and scooted aside. The numbers on a die are beveled like a trapezoid. That's so the coin will pop cleanly off the die after it's minted. When you shave off the tops of the trapezoids, the result looks fatter...that's all.

Archived