CoinPeople.com

Plate Money Novodel?

Scottishmoney

Grivna 1726

_9089037.jpg

a9089043.jpg

a9089039.jpg

It is hard to just doff this off as a fake, but the lettering in Tsena and Grivna seems out of place, not lined up etc. The seller even gives an Uzdennikov reference, but when I look this up in Uzdennikov it doesn't quite match with the lettering. In fact I don't see a match with any of the illustrations in Uzd.

I saw fakes of these in Russia, even in the USSR they were faking these.

Other opinions?

Grivna 1726

It is hard to just doff this off as a fake, but the lettering in Tsena and Grivna seems out of place, not lined up etc. The seller even gives an Uzdennikov reference, but when I look this up in Uzdennikov it doesn't quite match with the lettering. In fact I don't see a match with any of the illustrations in Uzd.

Other opinions?

The lettering looks crude, well below what a novodel ought to look like.

RWJ

Grivna 1726

_9089037.jpg

a9089043.jpg

a9089039.jpg

Other opinions?

Most of the Russian plate money that appears on the market is fake. This example does not inspire confidence.

Hi .. Just a note from an avid observer.. There is a coin on German Ebay that could be a twin. (what a coincidence to have two such rare coins appear at once) The Gorny catalogue has a beautiful example of a real one. Makes the Ebay coins look like cheap fakes. Could they be ?

Could they be fakes? Yes, of course they could, and I think that they probably are.

Genuine novodels of the plate money are very scarce today, but are still easier to find than originals.

Archived