CoinPeople.com

What is your favorite classic commem?

thedeadpoint

My personal favorite in my collection is the Stone Mtn half.

916542.jpg

But I'll be receiving a new commem this week! Can't wait to see it in person.

But others that I like? I don't have a redbook with me so I don't know the designs off the top of my head.

i like the panama-pacific expositon(1915),(1921) missouri centennial,(1925) ston mountain memorial, (1926-1939) oregon trail memorial,(1934-1938) texas independence centennial, (1983-1984) los angeles olympiad, and of course (2001) american buffalo commem.

i have one of the buffalo commems but its a 207 bullion peice but close enough for me :ninja:

I like the Pan-Pac, Texas, Oregon and San Diego designs the best.

I got a nice San Diego last week from Heritage. Can't wait to see it in hand. Any day now.

• 4 months later...

The Panana Pacific series. I own the half dollar and the gold dollar, and a very nice reproduction of the $50 gold piece.

I recently acquired the $2.50 gold, been looking for that one for many years. It's an ex-jewelry piece from a gun shop in Oregon, but still in very nice condition.

And it's mine! :ninja:

I got a nice San Diego last week from Heritage. Can't wait to see it in hand. Any day now.

That was the first commemorative I ever bought, a really beautiful design, and I still have it.

The Panana Pacific series. I own the half dollar and the gold dollar, and a very nice reproduction of the $50 gold piece.

I recently acquired the $2.50 gold, been looking for that one for many years. It's an ex-jewelry piece from a gun shop in Oregon, but still in very nice condition.

And it's mine! :ninja:

The Pan-Pac gold dollar is probably one of my top 3 favorite gold designs in US history. That is the one with the panamanian and poseidon on the back?

The Pan-Pac gold dollar is probably one of my top 3 favorite gold designs in US history. That is the one with the panamanian and poseidon on the back?

The Poseidon design was actually rejected.

"Keck’s initial design carried a depiction of Poseidon, the god of the sea in Greek mythology.

This was rejected, however, by Treasury Secretary William Gibbs McAdoo, who deemed it too detailed for such a diminutive coin."

Instead they chose the potrait of a Canal laborer. I would have gone with Poseidon. Some people actually think the laborer is a baseball player because of his cap.

No one would have confused Poseidon with a baseball player! :ninja:

The reverse has ONE DOLLAR in the center with dolphins above and below, symbolizing the joining of the two oceans.

The 2.50 coin features Columbia on a hippocampus, a Greek mythological sea horse. I'll post photos of it when I get some time.

Archived