CoinPeople.com

"New" steel pennies...

corkykile

Just for the fun of it I bid on some steel pennies on eBay.

What an ordeal!

Had to fight for a better shipping cost, and finally agreed to one I could live with.

When I received these pennies they appear to be 'reprocessed' steel cents, but nowhere in the description does it say that.

Either the seller is in denial, or doesn't know the difference, or doesn't care either way.

I contacted the seller and asked him/her if she/he was certain they were not reprocessed steel pennies.

So far no response... and as I see they are still for sale, I have a funny feeling I won't hear from the seller.

I do not plan to return the coins as they are sort of pretty and didn't cost me an arm or leg. And, unless there is real evidence of fraud, I won't go to eBay with the problem.

Someone else I bought from sometime ago sent me three steel pennies as a bonus with my order.

It is quite obvious they are also reprocessed.

Is it just me, or doesn't anyone else know the difference?

Just had to vent about this.

Corky

Sorry to hear of your experience Corky. I am probably what you would consider an old time collector since I started as a youngster in the late 1970s. Reprocessed steel cents are a relatively recent phenomenon, as I can first recall hearing about them a few years ago, so I imagine there is still a lot of ignorance out there. And I suppose there is a reason for the reprocessing since steel cents do not age well! I recently looked at a roll of them I put away in the 1980s, and they were all rather plain looking, like galvanized fence colored, and one nice on, maybe XF to AU had a big rust spot on the reverse! That said, if you get steel cents that all look clean and shiny, chances are they are reprocessed. If they look like a chain link fence, they are probably original!

It wasn't too bad as I had a slight suspicion what they were by looking at the pictures. Much too bright, much too shiny... of course I guess the newness will wear off soon enough...

Chain link fences... hmmm?

I see there are more out there and I should have done differently.

My main goal in penny collecting is to fill my album the the best uncirculated pennies that I can afford. Then fill my three grand daughters albums. I like to buy rolls of coins instead of letting someone else pick out a coin from an uncirculated roll.

It is much more fun to find the goodies yourself. Occasionally a roll with be a near total loss, but I figure if I get half a dozen or less really good coins from a roll then I am fairly satisfied.

I only started collecting a few months ago. Something got me into pennies and then the whole thing snowballed.

Now I have this big new cabinet behind me that must weigh several hundred pounds by now... not to mention my rejects which get rolled for recycling when I have enough of them.

So it goes on and on...

Corky

aww im sorry corky!! i guess you could get something and scuff em up a lil hehe i personally dont like the shiny steelies i like the old cruddy ones it shows theyve had a long hard life and deserve to be slapped in a book or sent to bahrain :ninja:. have a good one!!!

dustin

I really don't get it with the reprocessing of a 1943 Steel Cent. They sell for about the same thing everywhere around here for about the same as a normal coin. So why would anyone spend the money and/or time to replate a Steel Cent with Zinc? To me that makes no CENTS. If done for an experiment in a chem lab in school, then naturally there is a reason there. But t oattempt to improve the value of a coin that is normally selling for PENNIES, why bother.

However, if it is in a high grade and you need it for collection, why not. I've seen them plated with Chome, Zinc, Tin and I've got a few plated with Copper. I like those the best.

I actually like that coin. It was my first coin to make me a collector and I have about 30 rolls of them and most in Uncirculated grades and each one cost only a cent. Of course I started collecting them in 1943 so they were new then.

aww im sorry corky!! i guess you could get something and scuff em up a lil hehe i personally dont like the shiny steelies i like the old cruddy ones it shows theyve had a long hard life and deserve to be slapped in a book or sent to bahrain :ninja:. have a good one!!!

dustin

xD lol ;) lincoln is happy here ;) enjoying his vacation :D he is unique now ....i bet 95% that its the only 1 in bahrain :D no wait actually 99.99% ;) eheh since not alot of coin dealers an very few collectors :D only know 1 other guy!!!! lol others have coins but dont collect an hate 2 give away >_> grr an let em rott in boxs for years an years :D

anyway xD lol went of topic........ sorry 2 hear that but if you like em its ok i guess :wub: an its always nice 2 have shiney coins ;) eheh

Archived