CoinPeople.com

Tips for buying online

TreasureGirl

Well, my hubby bought an iPod Touch so now I get $300 in coin goodies! I'd like to start buying online if that means I can save some money, which would allow me to buy even more goodies. Do you all have personal rules for when it comes to buying online (eBay, Amazon, etc)? When I get the check for my loan I will post the list in "Want to Buy".

Thanks!

Well, my hubby bought an iPod Touch so now I get $300 in coin goodies! I'd like to start buying online if that means I can save some money, which would allow me to buy even more goodies. Do you all have personal rules for when it comes to buying online (eBay, Amazon, etc)? When I get the check for my loan I will post the list in "Want to Buy".

Thanks!

It’s a good idea to buy coins from reputable dealer/s. If buying from eBay check the sellers feedback and their returns policy, just incase the coin isn't what it was advertised to be. If a deal seems too good to be true it probably is and finally if in doubt ask (either the seller or post a question on the forum, or perhaps both).

i have a very rare low mintage of 20 2007 pennie lol you can have it for 299.99 free shipping :ninja: i would buy from people on here first then maybe move on to heritage. and be very cautious!!!if it looks fake it prolly is!!!

i would buy from people on here first then maybe move on to heritage. and be very cautious!!!if it looks fake it prolly is!!!

Excellent advice from dustin. :ninja:

I only deal online with Heritage and a few select dealers I've dealt with in person or have heard good things about. And I only buy/bid on coins/notes when there are good representative images of them.

but I'm willing to pay a little bit more for a good coin/note. Some people would rather stick to cheap lots on ebay to skip the buyers premium.

On eBay, the two most important things are photos and return policy, with seller feedback just behind that. But definitely if you are looking for something in particular, post it here. A lot of us have lots of coins that are just sitting in our collections that we don't really care about, but it's too much effort to put them up on eBay. I have a whole album full of various coins that just sit here since to me they aren't worth the effort of selling them. In fact on another board someone posted a need for a 39-S nickel, and I had two of them sitting in the album. I think that coin was worth maybe a dollar, hardly worth the postage to send it out. So I sent it to this collector and he found a 1916 penny that he had extra that I could use for an album, so we ended up with a nice trade. So definitely utilize the board, you might be surprised at what you find!

Hi Treasure,

Definitely follow the advice of those who answered before me. Be very careful about the seller... check ratings and all the type of items they sell in their store. I rarely believe anyone about their grading of coins. You really don't know unless you have it in your hand. Of course, there are some coins that are slabbed and graded by professionals. Be sure you know the difference between first, second, and third tier grading services. I had a rather bad experience with a set of MS-70 U.S coins. When I received them I realized they were not graded by a really good company. My lesson was not as costly as it could have been.

What kind of coins are you planning to buy to jump-start your collection? There are some really nice world coins out there.

Corky

P.S. Don't buy any of those 2007 pennies from Dustin... I will give you several more years of uncirculated pennies for the same money.... :ninja:

Well you would think you would invest your post in my YN contest, where the prize is worth $30 to some dealers lately. And entering is free.

$300 Ipod? Gees. I sure wish my lovely wife liked such expensive goodies, then I could justify my purchases. She got a 381 year old Delft tile recently when I made some coin purchases. But usually I have to initiate her wanting something.

corkykile - I'm getting a little of everything between US half cents to gold dollars. I promise to post in Want to Buy but I have no idea when my check will come and I don't want to keep everyone waiting.

Scot - rofl, thanks for the inclusion! I won't be 21 until June anyway. *entered*

My advice would be:

Know what you are buying, look at the photos, read description and ask questions.

Know the seller, read feedback, research them etc...

If it looks too good to be true then it most likely is.

I buy virtually all of my hammered coins from eBay and hardly ever have a problem.

Just be cautious and know what you are agreeing to. It should all go A-OK!!

All the best,

Clive.

Archived