CoinPeople.com

Dollar edges

Looking thru the dollars I got in trade from Art. I noticed another odd mark on the edge of the coin. This is similar to the marking on the edge of a Washington dollar I spotted awhile back. (Somebody else had one similar. ) I can't remember coming up with any good explanation of how this happened.

The Washington dollar with an "O" on the edge.

washedge.jpg

Shots of the Jefferson edge.

edge-1.jpg

edge1-1.jpg

edge2-1.jpg

The "D" shows up pretty good and the part I don't understand is its not a "pressed" in letter. Any ideas what could cause this? If it was hit against another coin it would show up reversed. Also the style of the "D" really throws me off. It has serifs. The "D" in GOD doesn't.

Also just since it was found in the same roll one cud in the last "s" of states. I tossed this shot in.

cud-1.jpg

interesting theory of getting pressed against another coin but when and how would that happen?

Thats what I can't figure out. If it had been hit against another coin while it was being roll pressed on the edge it would not have serifs. The only other "D" on the coin that close to matches the size is the one in President. But that way would have made inset "D". Not raised, the area around the "D" has been slightly flattened. If I had not pulled it out of a bank roll myself I would think someone used a die punch on it.

Nice finds. The coin with the "O" on the edge also appears to have a ghost 7 right after the "O".

I haven't opened the roll of D that you sent me yet. Hopefully something really good will be in there. I do have a P that I swear has a ghost of a 7 on the edge. As I mentioned, my wife has looked at it and thinks I'm seeing things. I've tried to photograph it but can't get anything to come out.

Nice finds. The coin with the "O" on the edge also appears to have a ghost 7 right after the "O".

I haven't opened the roll of D that you sent me yet. Hopefully something really good will be in there. I do have a P that I swear has a ghost of a 7 on the edge. As I mentioned, my wife has looked at it and thinks I'm seeing things. I've tried to photograph it but can't get anything to come out.

The Washington "O" just has a scratch after it. The top line you see in the picture is just a reflection on the edge. Those shots took about 60 to get. And two of those are the same one just using software to cut off more.

Archived