CoinPeople.com

Now I hate new scanners

gxseries

Actually scrap that thing about what I said about newer notes. I gave a quick check on your collection De Orc but you have a Singapore 2 dollar polymer note scanned which I couldn't do so.

And thanks for reminding me of the model - I was debating to get an Epson but then I found it too expensive :ninja: I ended up with a Canon which I might regret painfully later.

I think it only applies to some of the newest banknotes printed De Orc. From what I have seen online, some Brits have no problem scanning a fiver but when it comes to the 50, appearently they did have an issue with it.

And thanks for reminding me of the model - I was debating to get an Epson but then I found it too expensive :ninja: I ended up with a Canon which I might regret painfully later.

I remember SM98 posting something here a while back that some newer model scanners have certain built-in recognition systems that will stop it from scanning notes that have corresponding security features in the note. Or something like that.

I remember SM98 posting something here a while back that some newer model scanners have certain built-in recognition systems that will stop it from scanning notes that have corresponding security features in the note. Or something like that.

That means that ALL the notes you CAN scan are FAKES! :ninja:

Not that I don't believe you, but I don't believe you.

FWIW - I've got an old Canon scanner that I haven't used in almost two years. Got it out last night and it worked just fine, although I felt that one side was lighter than the other. (But I didn't try scanning banknotes, I'll try that tonight.)

Go to www.rulesforuse.org to learn about the worldwide anti-counterfeiting efforts. The press release concerning scanner and other computer technology can be found at Scanner Technology Press Release

Fascinating read, thanks for that. But does it mean that I can't legally reproduce them? or does it mean my scanner will prevent me from doing so? It appears that I can legally scan them but with restrictions on reproduction size, etc. I take it to mean that my scanner can still scan them as it would any other piece of paper.

lol...i remember posting about it, but i don't know what happened to the post!

there's a lot of software out there available to manufacturers of scanners and imaging programs that can detect whenever somebody tries to scan images of banknotes. one of the earliest methods of detection was through the use of the "eurion constellation", a pattern of 5 small circles that software can easily recognize. since 1996, color photocopiers looked for that pattern and prevent copies from being being made.

eurion constellation samples

eurion constellation on wikipedia

nowadays, software has gotten more complicated and the methods for detecting banknotes aren't as obvious. depending on the manufacturer, you'll sometimes get a pop-up warning like the one below, an automatic redirect to that website, or nothing at all besides the image not processing.

howdotheyknow.png

i'll stick to my old software/scanner for as long as they work! i'd hate to spend money on new stuff that isn't collector-friendy.

Is the software used on all new scanner?

And what about printers/copy/scanners systems ?

Are there specific notes that anyone knows of that don't work?

If anyone knows of any let me know, I want to try it on my system.

I use a HP printer/copy/scanner system and haven't had a problem.

I know some scanners will not let you scan banknotes, and some will..... Some of them that will let you scan them will put dollar signs($) on the image to show that its a reproduction....

I usually use a digital camera, bur personally, I think that at times, a scanner might be better at getting the details......

Archived