CoinPeople.com

whats your goals in collecting??

dustin43160

i just wanted to see what everyones goal of collecting was?? like mine was to fill all of my american albums and get older american coins as i go. but now im thinking of getting albums for swiss,ireland,aussie,france and maybe italy and older spain... how about you guys??

dustin

Long range goals. Finish out the regular strike Morgans. (That leaves out the 1895 proof. The 1893 S could be a real problem though.) Work some more on Trade dollars. Try to get a few examples of earlier dollars. Work on the 1826 year set and 1876 year set. Not excluding other "big" silver though such as crowns and foreign trade dollars.

Eventually complete my Indian Head Cent collection (date/mm). Fill in completely my US Moderns collection - working mostly from Mint & Proof sets on this one. My World one coin/one note from every country collection.

Canadian by date mintmark - cents, nickels and dimes, would love to get a set of nickel halves and nickel dollars going, but they are hard to get without overpaying, which I refuse to do.

US by date/mintmark (will probably never fill the key dates though) - Lincoln memorials and wheats, Jefferson nickels and Roosevelt dimes.

World coins by KM# (circulating issues only!) - starting with easy to find countries in non-precious metals, but will eventually have to go after key coins/countries and then into silver coins.

Finish my Kennedy, Eisenhower and SBA albums, keep fresh with current issues, finish a type set (including gold - HA!), complete sets of Mercs, SLQs, Liberty Walking Halves, and Peace Dollars. Lately I've been getting this "beautiful girls on coins" bug, too, so some foreign stuff in there as well.

complete sets of Mercs, SLQs, Liberty Walking Halves, and Peace Dollars.

Whoa. Intense. I've been working on my Peace Dollar set for many many years now but still haven't found the right coin to fill in my last three holes. I've come across many examples of the date/mm but none that look fitting for capping off my first series.

You've definitely got a challenge on your hands - go for the short sets first:

Mercs, late 30s/early 40s

SLQ late 20s/early 30s

Walkers, 39-47 PDS and proofs (thats what I'm doing)

Anywho, I too appreciate beautiful girls. I've dated a few :ninja:

Yeah... I think I'm going to get all the type coins I can get for under $50 at good or better and then start on acquiring those pieces here and there; I haven't put together a method yet. It will be interesting.

I'm a strong follower of completing series by date and mintmark and major varieties. It seems easy enough but takes a lot longer than you'd first think. I think a design and denomination is best exemplified by a complete series set. I can't explain why.

So, completing series that are interesting and attractive.

My first goal is to have type sets of coins based on my family heritage so it can be handed down and kept up by my kids

1900 to present for U.S. Coins - Only 3 coins left to complete :ninja:

1800 to 1899 Polish Coins (my Dad's family tree) -

1800 to 1899 Canadian Coins (my Mom's family tree)

My second goal is putting together world coin sets based on different historic themes.

Three short term goals I have

1) Complete my morgan mint mark set, (I bet you can guess which mint mark I don't have)

2) Complete my 1942-p mint set (nothing below a MS-65, Well, maybe the walker but nothing else)

3) Get a Rooster!!

My collecting has evolved such that I don't think I will ever reach a final goal. I have been collecting world silver crown/crown-like coins as a type set for a while now. I started with the 20th century, but have been picking up coins from the 19th century as their history and design keeps taking my concentration off from the 20th cent examples. :ninja: And I can continue with this collection backwards so far that time and funds will never suffice. However, whenever I get all types for one country from a specific century, there will be a certain gratification that I have completed at least a part of the set. ;)

I have abandoned collecting new Finnish commems and will consider what I have as a complete set (2 key pieces still missing). This has freed up funds for me to be more active in another set I have started on - a general world silver type collection of circulation pieces. As with the crown collection, this is one that will never be completed. However, minor goals will be reached when I complete the series for any said country.

Short term is MIA right now because of the lack of cash flow, luckily I've been able to work out some nice trades for being a middle man in a large collection (mainly the 1938-1964 proof nickels, woot!) ;)

Long term, complete my US type set from 1793-current, finish shield nickel set with proofs, fill those darn blue books, and get three gold type sets (indian [with both $1 gold], liberty head, modern bullion), and last but not least (part of my type set too) is get a Gobrecht dollar with stars in at least Pf-40+.

Notice my longterm goals are basically life-long goals, lol. :ninja:

Archived