CoinPeople.com

pure nickel coins

vankessel

I know of a dealer that is currently paying 7 cents each. It's down from 10 cents each, so it depends on how long you want to hold onto them, and how much profit you'd like. Right now, I'm only holding. If it goes back up to 10 cents each, I may unload a bunch.

im definitely holding on to the nickels because they are currrently worth more than face value but i was wondering more about the dimes and quarters how, they are not currently worth more for melt value but because they are currently being made with different materials if this would cause a rise in value

The thing is how much more do you expect nickel to go up. By at least 10 times it's face value? Not going to happen as there is actually quite a fair bit of nickel around the world. The only reason why prices are so high is because there isn't much surplus and mines have been slow to react to the market. However once the market DO meet the demand, prices should start falling. The most obvious one should be iron - there is way too much iron around the world but the mining industry is just lagging behind.

There are 100 older canadian 100% nickel 5 cents per pound. (a pound is 453.6 grams...an older Canadian 5 cent weighs 4.53 grams) I just checked, and today a pound of nickel was $15.00. That would make an older Canadian 5 cent worth 15¢ in nickel today. A ton of nickel is worth $30,000. A ton of the older Canadian 5 cents would number 20,000 coins, or $10,000 face value.

The Canadian banks are removing these from circulation, are they not?

There are 100 older canadian 100% nickel 5 cents per pound. (a pound is 453.6 grams...an older Canadian 5 cent weighs 4.53 grams) I just checked, and today a pound of nickel was $15.00. That would make an older Canadian 5 cent worth 15¢ in nickel today. A ton of nickel is worth $30,000. A ton of the older Canadian 5 cents would number 20,000 coins, or $10,000 face value.

The Canadian banks are removing these from circulation, are they not?

I'm finding about 20-25% of nickels in circulation are the pre-1982 type. The downside is I don't know of anyone paying 15 cents each. I knew of a dealer buying them for 10 cents each and selling them at $16/lb, but their buying price went down to 7 cents each recently.

I get lots of the 5¢ coins dated back to 1968 or so, I never save them, they get spent along with all other post 1968 Canadian coins. The only time I save Canadian coins is when I come across the commems in change. We are getting lots and lots of Canadian change now, thanks to our Canadian shopper friends coming over and taking advantage of the cheap USA $. Yesterday I got a 1953 Cent in change, the first with QEII on it.

Archived