CoinPeople.com

Collecting US 1/10 ounce Gold Coins

Art

Here's an interesting article about collecting the 1/10th ounce Gold Eagles. I haven't paid much attention to these and so I wasn't even aware of the different finishes that have started to crop up.

Collecting US 1/10 ounce gold. - CoinWorld Sept 07

I have one, got it for Chirstmas in 1999 or 2000, couldn't even tell you what year it is! It's sitting in a flip with a mexican 50-peso. I remember back in 2000 I could have bought half a roll from a local dealer who was blowing them out at $32 each! Oh the memories!

It's interesting to me that there are a bunch of these on ebay - slabbed by NGC or PCGS - that sell for about the same price that the Mint is charging for the current issue. I guess there are some "rarities" in the series but not much.

I found a link that tells you the gold value of various US gold coins based on the current price. No if I can only find the info on the US $5 Commemorative Gold coins and the $10 Commemorative Gold coins. Anyone know? (I think the $5 are 1/4 oz and the $10 are 1/2 oz).

Gold Coin Value Calculator

I found a link that tells you the gold value of various US gold coins based on the current price. No if I can only find the info on the US $5 Commemorative Gold coins and the $10 Commemorative Gold coins. Anyone know? (I think the $5 are 1/4 oz and the $10 are 1/2 oz).

Gold Coin Value Calculator

Art,

The modern commemorative half eagles and eagles issued by the mint were minted to the same standard as the old coins, so a $10 commem like the Olympic or First Flight contains 0.48375 troy ounce of gold, and all the commemorative $5 contain 0.241875 troy ounce of gold. The only exception to this is the bimetallic $10 commem for the Library of Congress issued in 2000, and I have no idea how much gold or platinum is in that one.

That link is very helpful, I just wish they had more foreign issues, particularly Mexican gold.

Here's a site that has info on the gold content for Mexican coins. On the primary table (first page) they have an error in the placement of their decimal points. They have other coins as well. So it looks like a fairly useful site for gold interested folks.

UK Taxfree Gold -- gold content info

Archived