CoinPeople.com

Mint Die state or somthing else??

I found this same sort of error in the eye of the washington dollars, about 7 or 8 of them. I think it's something to do with clashed or damaged dies, but I am not sure.

I found this same sort of error in the eye of the washington dollars, about 7 or 8 of them. I think it's something to do with clashed or damaged dies, but I am not sure.

Its strange that it doesn't overlap the hair.! It runs out on to the field behind the neck area & to the far right of Liberty, but thats the only places it really looks "out of place"..

Anyhow, its neat.! Just not sure what to call it.. :ninja:

Thanks,Cherry Picker.

Nice find! Good eyes.

It is a pretty darn good photograph. How do you do that?

Can you see if there are any corresponding images on the reverse?

Sometimes that is how I determine if it was a die-clash, then stamped afterward.

Of course, sometimes you had to have been there to really know what was going on... going to get a job at the mint and see if I can cause some really good errors... :ninja: (not really, I've got enough to do on this coast).

I received a roll of bu 1976 quarters today and found some interesting 'spots' on them that look like die-clashing on top of the actual image. Sure hope I can get my camera to capture the anomaly.

Corky

Nice find! Good eyes.

It is a pretty darn good photograph. How do you do that?

Can you see if there are any corresponding images on the reverse?

Sometimes that is how I determine if it was a die-clash, then stamped afterward.

Of course, sometimes you had to have been there to really know what was going on... going to get a job at the mint and see if I can cause some really good errors... :ninja: (not really, I've got enough to do on this coast).

I received a roll of bu 1976 quarters today and found some interesting 'spots' on them that look like die-clashing on top of the actual image. Sure hope I can get my camera to capture the anomaly.

Corky

Thanks Corky.. Good luck with those quaters.! Do share if you find something..

Pictures...

I just have a cheap Vivitar cammera with 4x zoom and a 16x loop that I shoot pics with.. I Recently found that if I use a mechanical device to hold the loop the correct distance from the coin and shoot by a filtered northern window light, it is simple to get the pics I want.. FWIW, the Cammera also came with a very good program in that I can edit the size of the pic & lock it to that ratio before sending it to my host.. The truth is,the program is much better than the cammera.! Still gotta get good shots though, and that was the hit & miss part of it until I used the mechanical device..

Now to the coin.. I didn't see any clashing on the reverse side.! Goerge must have got out of the bar before it got to rough hu Dustin.? ;)

Cherry Picker

Hmmm... will try to do the magnifying glass thing.

My new camera is a Canon Elph SD850 IS. It has a macro mode and so far I have had good luck with most of the coins I have photographed. It just seems that I need a touch more magnification for some anomalies, such as subtle doubling and what I call overstrikes (don't quite know what they are, but they are interesting).

I have photoshop 7 on my computer to use for cropping, etc.

My hubby is a senior software engineer for Avery Dennison and he is completely into keeping me updated on most of my computer programs. Too bad he isn't a bit more patient at teaching me how to use the program. :ninja:

Corky

Hmmm... will try to do the magnifying glass thing.

My new camera is a Canon Elph SD850 IS. It has a macro mode and so far I have had good luck with most of the coins I have photographed. It just seems that I need a touch more magnification for some anomalies, such as subtle doubling and what I call overstrikes (don't quite know what they are, but they are interesting).

I have photoshop 7 on my computer to use for cropping, etc.

My hubby is a senior software engineer for Avery Dennison and he is completely into keeping me updated on most of my computer programs. Too bad he isn't a bit more patient at teaching me how to use the program. ;)

Corky

Dont know much about the Photoshop 7.! But if it came with your Cammera, it likely holds the key to what your wanting to do.. BTW, the pic in your wide AM variety post is nice.! Perhaps a little cropping & magnifying would be all thats needed for detail work.. If all else fails, try the loop thing :ninja:

Cherry Picker.

• 3 weeks later...
it does appear to be from excessive die polishing... thats a good example of die polish.... im going to add it to the error coin reference guide if you dont mind :ninja:

Hey Dutchman

I routinely clean out photo bucket when im done with the pics, sorry, I guess I deleted the pic from the error gallery as well.. Anyhow, I took a couple more pics of the quarter & your welcome to use either if you would like..

Cherry Picker.

sss.jpg

Picture199.jpg

Archived