CoinPeople.com

NEED MONACO MINTAGE NUMBER

crystalk64

Can anyone give me the total mintage for the Monaco 2007 commemorative $2 tribute to Princess Grace? I have heard it was only 2,500 coins struck but been unable to confirm that number. That is a pretty low mintage for a circulating coin and if it is fact I do believe I need to pick up a few before the die hard collectors put them all away. Appreciate your help!

i heard 20,000 ... but, honestly, do monaco business strikes actually circulate?!?

Can anyone give me the total mintage for the Monaco 2007 commemorative $2 tribute to Princess Grace? I have heard it was only 2,500 coins struck but been unable to confirm that number. That is a pretty low mintage for a circulating coin and if it is fact I do believe I need to pick up a few before the die hard collectors put them all away. Appreciate your help!

Well you do have a point there!!! But with the cost involved making scultping and making dies I don't see how such a low mintage could even near the break even point. And, are the coins actually REAL Monaco issues as yesterday I was told they were "trial" coinage? We don't release trial coins in the U.S. so the whole idea is, for the lack of another word, foreign to me? So now I must ask are these Euro $2 commemoratives real coinage for business transactions and do they have monetary value or are they simply for collector hype and profits? I have checked Ebay and noticed two things. One individual in Germany seems to have a LOT of these coins for sale and the price variations are HUGE. Some are listed at $50 to $70 each while others are actually selling in the $10 to $15 range. Are they real and is this a one time thing?

So now I must ask are these Euro $2 commemoratives real coinage for business transactions

Well, if you see any "euro 2 dollars" commems, they will indeed not be coins but medals. :ninja: The actual coin is the one that is depicted in the OJ (see link above) or here http://www.numismatico.de/files/monaco2euro_175.jpg for example.

Are they real and is this a one time thing?

Yes, they are "real" in the sense that they are legal tender in all of Euroland. Yes, this is a "one time" issue like pretty much every other commemorative coin. However, there is absolutely no way to get them at face value (the issue price was €110), so don't expect them to ever show up in circulation. By the way, this €2 commem deliberately "copies" the portrait that was used for the 10 francs Princess Grace coin issued in 1982 ...

Christian

Thanks to all of you for the information. Usually, by the time information reaches U.S. numismatic pulications, the new releases are sold out and dealer prices, should the coins make it over here, are far and above what the average collector is willing to pay. I appreciate your help and will act accordingly as 20,000 is still, in U.S. numbers, a very small mintage but far better than 2,500 as being advertised on Ebay. Will have to add a few to my Euro stash and don't mind paying premium to get them over here. Thats the price one has to pay for collecting the Euro in the U.S.

well, last time i looked, getting the real thing for this item will set you back at least USD120 ... most of the stuff you see on ebay are trials/essais/test issues ... these are not legal tender, not the item you're looking for, and not even worth the 2 euro face value ...

most of the stuff you see on ebay are trials/essais/test issues ... these are not legal tender, not the item you're looking for, and not even worth the 2 euro face value ...

Since those medals do not have a face value, they cannot be worth it. :ninja:

And no, of course those are not actually "trial coins" - they have never been issued, authorized, etc. by any government. Neither have the "UK euros", "Swiss euros", and so on - pretty much anybody can have medals with a map of Europe and the text "2 E" made. Legally medals have to be different from actual coins in terms of size, for example; no idea whether pieces like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230167797551 meet those criteria.

One option for euro collectors is to simply not buy the € coins issued by the three non-EU countries (Monaco, San Marino, Vatican). Obviously these countries do not need their coins for circulation; with very few exceptions they sell them - usually above face value - to collectors and that's it. Think of Monaco's 2006 set with the new "Albert" designs: Only 11,000 or so were issued, proof only, sets only ...

Christian

I regret selling my 2002 SM set for a mere $212, when I might have gotten $400-600 for it. But I did sell it for $200 more than I paid for it. So I guess I cannot complain too much.

Notice that Monaco is no longer striking € coins for "circulation" anymore either. Like they were ever minted to circulate, but only to sell to greedy collectors. Not like back in the FF era when they really did circulate and it was possible to find them in circulation in France occasionally.

I was fortunate enough, both my wife and I, to be on the Vatican's customer list when the Euro was introduced. We found out very quickly that demand was by far exceeding supply and keeping those mint sets, proof sets and silver commemoratives would be foolish as the money was so good it provided extra hobby money to get coins that we both desired to own. I have yet to understand how a $15 mint set can be worth $880.00 in a couple of weeks and a $50 proof set going for $1,300 in the same amount of time? While prices have settled somewhat, after the 2002 craze, it is apparent the items are still selling beyond belief. As a seller, at the time, I thought it was great but can't help but wonder what happens to the buyer in the future? I am also very aware that the Vatican siezed the opportunity, with secondary market values being so high, to continue to raise their prices as proof sets went from $48.00 to $125.00 very very quickly. I played the game for 3 years and decided against continuing to support such madness. I kept one silver commemorative from 2002 (tribute to women) which shows a very attractive lady on the reverse and the Pope smiling on the obverse? None the less it is a beautiful coin but shall be my last from Vatican City as the whole program is nothing more than a cash cow that I did not want to feed any longer.

I kept one silver commemorative from 2002 (tribute to women) which shows a very attractive lady on the reverse and the Pope smiling on the obverse?

Yes, that Vatican €5 coin is a nicely designed piece. The woman is a symbol of Europe - she is standing in a river that is crossed by a bridge, with a rainbow in the background. Well, such collector coins are a different story anyway since each of them is "legal tender" in a very small part of the currency union only. Now commemorative coins such as the Princess Grace piece I could spend anywhere in Euroland. Of course nobody would do that with a piece that costs 50+ times its face value. :ninja:

Christian

Tabbs you certainly know exactly which commemorative coin I am referring to. One of the most eye appealing I have seen come out of the Vatican.

I did get my Princess Grace out of Germany for $23.50 with the shipping included but have seen it advertised for ridiculous amounts of money. Guess Ebay bidding was good to me this time as the coin has arrived and it is safely tucked away in my Euro commemorative $2 collection.

I did get my Princess Grace out of Germany for $23.50 with the shipping included but have seen it advertised for ridiculous amounts of money.

Wow, that was an exceptionally good deal. After all, the official issue price was €110 which is about $150. I hardly ever use eBay, but this case shows that, if you're lucky, bargains can indeed be had there. :ninja:

Christian

i am *still* annoyed that i can't seem to get on their list. i think someone told them i'm a fallen catholic :ninja:

The UFN (Vatican) does not care about your religious affiliation, or whether you have any or not. Now the MTM (Monaco) does not do that either - contrary to the UFN they simply do not sell any new issues to end customers. Guess which policy I prefer, and which country's issues I do not really care about any more ...

Christian