• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sov1-1.jpg

Sov2-1.jpg

I saw this going on eBay for a bargain price and had to have it. I'm in Durham currently and so it has come home.

Henry VII Sovereign penny, Bishop Richard Fox of Durham with mitre above shield and R & D at the sides. 1494-1501.

Looks like a skeleton on the obverse!

Quite right, rather gaunt.

You can see the resemblance to Henry VII's Royal Seal:

image011.jpg

I went to school in Guildford for seven years and it's always been a special place to me. I buy the occasional postcard of my old school and some can be seen here:

I bought two postcards featuring my beloved old school that arrived today. Here are the scans.

RGS1.jpg

RGS2.jpg

Here is it as it is today.

But, more recently, I managed to acquire a token of Guildford. The obverse features a woolsack in the centre with IOHN MARTIN around whereas the reverse features the castle with IN GILFORD 1652 around. This piece is ex. Norweb and cost me the princely sum of £6.

Guildford2.jpg

Guildford1.jpg

Here's some more information about John Martin:

This John Martin is another instance of a poor lad rising to considerable position and affluence in his native town.

The old parish register informs us that he was apprenticed by the overseers to Mr Cobbett, and served his master "faithfully and well for nine years." Something like an apprenticeship!

In 1640 he had become a man of property, and the Roll of the Subsidy, previously quoted as granted by Parliament to Charles I, has his name thus:

"Iohn Martyn in goodes iij£ paying vs. iijd. in every pound."

In 1643, the town records note that John Martyn was one of the wardens of the Rye Market-house.

The Rye Market-house stood in High Street, and occupied a site in the northeast corner of Holy Trinity Church. It was pulled down on January 6, 1758, and its value (£200) invested in bank stock.

In 1647 John Martyn was elected as Mayor, but, singular to state, does not appear as an "approved man," or Councillor, until 1651, and would therefore appear to have been selected from the town without first passing through the Council.

He was elected an "approved man" six times, i.e. in 1651, 1652, 1653, 1656, 1657, and 1658, and was again Mayor in 1654 and 1655.

In 1663 the town incurred an expense of one hundred and fifty-five pounds (£155--in those days an enormous sum), which was all spent in welcoming his Majesty Charles II, in his visit to Guildford soon after his restoration.

Like a brave old Royalist, as he most certainly must have been, John Martyn--or Martin, as the name then appears--gave a subscription of five pounds (£5) towards this expense; and, with the exception of John Smallpeece and Joseph Nettles, who gave an equal amount, we do not find that any Guildfordian gave so large a gift. He evidently lived in the parish of St Mary, as the churchwardens' book proves, his signatures being head of the list for several years in the signatures of those who attended the vestry meetings. The fact that it is first written whenever he attended shows he was considered a man of great importance in the parish. He is buried near the north door of St Mary's Church, having died at the age of seventy-five.

Clive that's a wonderful piece to add to your collection. I remember the postcards and thought they were quite nice and something well worth collecting. Now add the token and you're really off on a nice collecting direction.

I missed the postcards posting first time around, glad to see them now! I too was a "grammar grub" albeit at a modern one, Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire.

The token is a great addition for you Clive even though it cost you such a huge sum, more than John Martin's contribution towards the King's Visit.

Many thanks gentlemen, it's nice to have a token to go with the postcards. I managed to snag another postcard that arrived today:

Postcard1.jpg

The colour postcards were excellent.... but black and white really suits the old school. The Belisha beacons date the photo post 1934 and the lack of zebra stripes put it pre 1949, the postcard itself is not so easily dated but it mentions the late King, George VI, so the earliest is 1952, the latest 1959, when Tuck merged and became the British Printing Corporation.

The colour postcards were excellent.... but black and white really suits the old school. The Belisha beacons date the photo post 1934 and the lack of zebra stripes put it pre 1949, the postcard itself is not so easily dated but it mentions the late King, George VI, so the earliest is 1952, the latest 1959, when Tuck merged and became the British Printing Corporation.

Thank you very much for the information, Pat. I'm intrigued as to what happened to the white building on the far right of this image, it looks like a warden's hut.

• 1 month later...

Something I bought for my research and collection.

Aeth1.jpg

Aeth2.jpg

It's a Longcross penny of Aethelred II. The reverse legend is an odd one reading +SVMRLIDA MO EOFR. Making this Sumerlede on York but the reverse also has a pellet in one quarter and a cross in another. It appears to be of the same reverse dies as the example in the W. C. Wells collection featured in H. A. Parsons' article published in the 1917 BNJ.

Great Aethelred II penny. How rare is it to find such an item in this condition?

The postcards are wonderful. It appears that you could assemble quite a nice grouping of cards just of your school and the surrounds.

Great Aethelred II penny. How rare is it to find such an item in this condition? The postcards are wonderful. It appears that you could assemble quite a nice grouping of cards just of your school and the surrounds.

Well, there only appears to be one other known coin of the exact same type, but it is possible to find more common coins of the Longcross issue in similar condition easily.

As for the cards, yes. It's good to be able to piece together a history of it through contemporaneous images.

Clive, What are you researching specifically? And I'm impressed you're talking about an example from 1917!!

I am working on a paper titled upon the iconography of Late Anglo-Saxon pennies and so this coin is perfect as it features an extra cross and pellet, perhaps representative of an ecclesiastical authority.

As for the only other example I can find, yes. It is nice to have a comparison of a coin that is over a thousand years old with one recorded nearly a hundred years ago.

• 1 month later...

A little pick up for me recently. I bought it for the portrait. About 18mm in diameter.

DSCF46831.jpgDSCF46832.jpg

Our friend Stuart has done a nice presentation of it, too.

Bust6Fresize.jpg