CoinPeople.com

Coin shops you like

Mark Stilson

Just finished reading Justcarls post and it got me to thinking about different dealers. A couple of the local dealers I go to are mixed bag. According to who waits on me is going to change what to expect. One of the dealers is a family run deal. The father normally friendly enough but you can tell wants the "Big" sale and very fast at getting distracted if he spots someone come in with a possibly bigger wallet. He does drop the price normally. Then either son is goofy as s*** but nice and can count on at least a discount the size of the tax and maybe any odd change. The daughter really friendly but a stickler on the price marked. One other dealer I go to I'll stay in the background browsing till one sales person comes available. I bought coins from him when he had his own coin/pawn shop 30 years ago. The others are polite enough but just don't seem as personable or interested. One time when I was trying to Id my 1661 GERMANY. Silesia-Liegnitz-Brieg. 3 Kreuzer he spent a lot of time with me trying to help. We went thru several books at that time. Even though he was not able to help me, he really tried. (Got close but no cigar, and thanks again to SlavicScott and belg-jos for the major help Iding it. ) I am not a mega-spender but I do buy consistently. A smile, eye contact can do a whole lot of good on getting a customer to come back.

Everything Mark says it true as far as I'm concerned. If a person gets treated like garbage because they don't spend a fortune is just not good buisness. All to well at a certain coin shop when I wanted to look at lesser priced coins I've had people just walk away. Noted on another post.

At many coin shows there are a group of people that are supposed to have a coin store not to far but since they are at most of the coin shows, I keep forgetting to ask for an address. At the coin shows they will talk to you, discuss just about anything, go down in prices if you ask and sometimes just go down in prices if they think they know you. They are for the most part seamingly nice people.

One coin dealer closed up his place and went to work for another coin shop. He is a great guy and I've known him for many years. I wonder if he will be the same working for someone else.

My greatest and most fantastic coin place ever, was a coin/stamp/etc counter on the 5th Floor of Carson's downtown Chicago. The sales people were absolutely the nicest and would give you the best deals possible. Sure wonder where they went when they closed that store.

I basically don't like coin stores, shops, hobby stores that carry coins. For the most part nothing good lately.

Yep, I know what you mean about dealers.

I like the coin shop I found but the two old fellas that own it are a bit stuffy.

Another thing, it doesn't seem how excited I get about certain 'finds' they always seem to shoot down my smile and ego.

They also make big noises about how long they have been doing this, as if I doubted their integrity. I always have to stress that I just wanted to know how certain anomalies are caused, and I really don't care what value it might have.

It is like "there were thousands of these made", or "people can fake this error"... or they shrug and act uninterested... but...

they always give me a little flyer for the local coin club. Unfortunately it is over an hour away from me in the lousiest traffic you can imagine... a place one wants to avoid completely.

As it is the only game within reasonable driving distance I still go when I think the traffic has settled down in the late morning.

I find CP guys and gals to be more helpful and kind!

Corky

I agree with you folks. There are two shops I frequent the most.

The owner of one of them is very well known in the profession and he is always pleasant and very friendly. I sometimes call on a Sunday to see if he is in town and even if he is not officially 'open', he invites me to stop in and visit. While it is true that I have been buying coins from him for a couple of years, my purchases are always on the small side - maybe $20-$50. He is well aware of my "comfort level" and he never pushes it except in a very friendly way..... I am most impressed by his willingness to provide his expert opinion and to explain things to me. Here's a true example...I purchased a 1921 Peace Dollar a while ago and not from him - it was part of a lot with a number of other coins and I would say that I got a pretty good deal (although as some noted here when I posted it, that it has been cleaned mildly - something I could see right away). There was a small die crack, which in itself was no big deal, but it was on the rim and I wasn't too familiar with that. On one visit, I brought the coin to him and he examined it, told me what he thought the grade was (which was higher than what I thought) and when I asked him about the 'crack' he said - yes that is a die problem and it is not unusual and that you can see this on other 1921s and to various degrees. He then took me through all of his 1921s to show me...and sure enough, there it was on some others.

The second shop I frequent is very different. This fellow has probably the greatest amount of US stock that I have ever seen. He seems to do a huge buisness in bullion and sells to other dealers all the time. Consequently, his shop can be overflowing on a Saturday and I might have to wait 30 min to get to see a 1938 Jefferson and get the price. But he is fair and there is no haggling - if you don't want to buy it, that's fine and he doesn't hold it against you at all. Thing is, if you can get to him when he is not swamped, he is a freaking gold mine of information and he is happy to shoot the breeze with you.

Those are the qualities I like most - honesty, respect for the customer, expertise, friendliness.

When I lived in Houston, Houston Numismatic on Times Blvd was The Bomb. I didn't get in there but about once a month because they were 40 miles from where I lived in Kingwood, but it was worth that drive. I could literally spend a whole Saturday afternoon there just perusing through coins, I bought low value stuff, high value stuff, gold, bronze, silver dollars, foreign gold etc. Everyone there was always helpful and willing to dig stuff out. I got calls when the good stuff, like the Penny Board came in, and I bought this out of it:

1794.jpg

And this came another time:

1857.jpg

And this after that:

1843silverdollar.jpg

When I lived in Houston, Houston Numismatic on Times Blvd was The Bomb. I didn't get in there but about once a month because they were 40 miles from where I lived in Kingwood, but it was worth that drive. I could literally spend a whole Saturday afternoon there just perusing through coins, I bought low value stuff, high value stuff, gold, bronze, silver dollars, foreign gold etc. Everyone there was always helpful and willing to dig stuff out. I got calls when the good stuff, like the Penny Board came in, and I bought this out of it:

Houston Numismatic was the place the guy checked out the coin at. What I love now is they added other "bulk" bins. They still have their normal rotating counters. But now they have low grade morgans in one bin. Mid range morgans in another, and bu morgans in airtites in a third. They also still have their cull type coin and assorted silver bin. They pile up their U.S. and foreign mint and proof sets on a cart. For such a small shop they have a monster inventory. :ninja:

Houston Numismatic was the place the guy checked out the coin at. What I love now is they added other "bulk" bins. They still have their normal rotating counters. But now they have low grade morgans in one bin. Mid range morgans in another, and bu morgans in airtites in a third. They also still have their cull type coin and assorted silver bin. They pile up their U.S. and foreign mint and proof sets on a cart. For such a small shop they have a monster inventory. :ninja:

They had the BU morgans in Airtites years ago. The circs in bins are new though.

eh ive never been in a coin shop cuz my mom just drives by lol ive only been to flea markets....

No problem. Some flea markets are the best place to find coins. At one flea market near me there was from 5 to 7 coin dealers or at least people that sold coins. Closed now due to building bought by another company. One dealer there was so rude it was almost a joke. If you started to look at his coins, he would say are you just looking or do you really want to buy something. Other dealers used to try to tell him that is the reason he never sells anything. At another flea market, still open all year long, there is guy that sells coins but really had no idea of what is what. All coins are dumped, and I mean dumped, into a few bins. US coins in one or two and foreign in another. All Mercury Dimes are $1 but if you buy more the price goes down. I've found a 26S, 42D/41, 16S, 18S and many, many others in that bin. These are not junk coins. A 38D Merc was FSB's and also for less than a buck.

Flea markets can be great.

No problem. Some flea markets are the best place to find coins. At one flea market near me there was from 5 to 7 coin dealers or at least people that sold coins. Closed now due to building bought by another company. One dealer there was so rude it was almost a joke. If you started to look at his coins, he would say are you just looking or do you really want to buy something. Other dealers used to try to tell him that is the reason he never sells anything. At another flea market, still open all year long, there is guy that sells coins but really had no idea of what is what. All coins are dumped, and I mean dumped, into a few bins. US coins in one or two and foreign in another. All Mercury Dimes are $1 but if you buy more the price goes down. I've found a 26S, 42D/41, 16S, 18S and many, many others in that bin. These are not junk coins. A 38D Merc was FSB's and also for less than a buck.

Flea markets can be great.

the sellers i meet are usually nice theres a colored guy that doesnt really sell coins but had some hidden in the case and happend to see em (ihcs) he said interested?? i said sure am he said u buy 5 of em for .50 each and u can have the other five!! i jumped on it and see him evertime i go to the flea market!

I'm going to hit them tomorrow. Only thing I don't like about them is trying to find a parking spot around there. It surprised me they missed the 1896-P VAM-19 8 in Denticles I picked up last week, it was in the bulk uncirculated bin. Most of the time they are real diligent about marking vams.

I'm going to hit them tomorrow. Only thing I don't like about them is trying to find a parking spot around there. It surprised me they missed the 1896-P VAM-19 8 in Denticles I picked up last week, it was in the bulk uncirculated bin. Most of the time they are real diligent about marking vams.

just show up about 5 am and wait lol

I never parked right near there, but there was a parking garage near a food market that I parked at and walked. The nice thing about that area is there is a lot to see and shop at there, not just HN, we used to hit the British Food store, the book store, I also do model railroading and there was a hobby shop nearby. All withing walking distance.

A couple local flea markets around here have some good dealers also. Theres a real nice little coin shop at Traders Village in Houston. The guy has some nice coins for a flea market and will do a deal on purchases. Coles Flea Market on Telephone road has a coin dealer there. (Been a while since I've been there.) Real nice guy kind of slim pickings though. He's been there about 30 years. A real pain to get parking (They charge for parking. :ninja: ) and its a pain to get around the market though.

A couple local flea markets around here have some good dealers also. Theres a real nice little coin shop at Traders Village in Houston. The guy has some nice coins for a flea market and will do a deal on purchases. Coles Flea Market on Telephone road has a coin dealer there. (Been a while since I've been there.) Real nice guy kind of slim pickings though. He's been there about 30 years. A real pain to get parking (They charge for parking. :ninja: ) and its a pain to get around the market though.

ride a bike lol free parking, and build up muscles lol

Generally my experiences with coin stores have been pretty good. The only problems I've had are when I walk into a coin store, people think I'm lost just because I'm a 20-year-old female (well, I look about 15, but whatever). Then, when I asked to see something specific, like Philadelphia mint Peace dollars, they still watched me like a hawk (no, they weren't trying to make themselves available for me to ask questions, they were staring at me from across the store). The one I frequent now is owned by the nicest guy; at least now I've frequented it enough for him to know I know my business! (except that one time I asked to see his Barber dollars when I meant halves... that was embarrasing...)

Generally my experiences with coin stores have been pretty good. The only problems I've had are when I walk into a coin store, people think I'm lost just because I'm a 20-year-old female (well, I look about 15, but whatever). Then, when I asked to see something specific, like Philadelphia mint Peace dollars, they still watched me like a hawk (no, they weren't trying to make themselves available for me to ask questions, they were staring at me from across the store). The one I frequent now is owned by the nicest guy; at least now I've frequented it enough for him to know I know my business! (except that one time I asked to see his Barber dollars when I meant halves... that was embarrasing...)

i would be too!! you barley see a female collector ,women are usually to busy with clothes and soaps so offense!

I wonder that male dealers, the majority, treat women, especially young women somewhat different? That could be a whole topic in of and itself. Maybe they just don't expect you to collect coins. Some dealers can be buried back in the 1960's too, when ladies wouldn't dare collect coins :ninja:

Okay, I'm a newb, what happened in the 60's to make chicks scared of coins?

Dustin - lol, while I do have about 20 too many pairs of shoes, and my soap is moving to DirecTV, I'm a HUGE pirate at heart. What better treasure than coins?

Sort of used to be that way around here with the average coin collector being an old man. Coin stores, shops, flea market coin dealers and especially coin shows. Recently with the massive growth of coin collectors due to the Mints amount of various types of coins, the type of collector making appearances has also changed. I go to a lot of coin shows and have now noticed a large increase in kids, younger people, women and even what appears as a couple on a date. Now also women dealers or women with their husbands at coin shows. I would suspect the State Quarters started an entire new concept of coin collecting which includes real young kids, younger people in general and women.

My local place here in Southern CA is run by a terrific guy who knows everything, pays fair, takes the time to explain things, and runs a great bid board. It's a great place to hang around. The owner clearly relishes dealing with smaller-money collectors and will sit with them quite a long time going over their Jeffersons and seeing what they might upgrade. There are some extremely high-spenders who come in, too, and they are treated like everyone else. This guy knows that what makes it worthwhile is not the money; it's the coins themselves.

BTW, it's pretty much a guy place, and maybe an older guy place at that, although women and younger people do come in and are welcome. Soundtrack: 50's and 60's folk music.

The one and only coin store in the province...a really nice guy, he'll sit down with you and tell you what you want to know, but you have to ask him. Theres always about 3 or 4 people working there (Probably paid my discounts :ninja:) and one of them will strike up a conversation, look through the junk bin with you, also a really nice guy. Always a conversation going on about something in the store, a lot of broken marriage stories :? But it's usually a positive vibe in the store. A lot of families dragged in by the husbands! ;) ;) ;)

For some reason in paper money, there are a lot more female dealers. Or at least the dealers I buy from are women, Kate Gibson(www.katespapermoney.co.uk), Anna Sluzskiwicz(atsnotes.com(sp) Pam West(www.britishnotes.co.uk), Jane White(www.banknotes4sale.com/). All of them I have bought from for years, and always been pleased with my purchases.

When I was a wee lad about 9 years old... I was thrown out of a coin shop because I didn't have an adult with me... (I ran ahead of my dad because I was excited to get to the coin shop)... that was my first experience with a coin dealer.... glad to say it did not discourage me...

I hope you came back in with your Dad, and then promptly left. My first coin shop visit was about 10-11 years old and I would literally blow a half of an afternoon in there. The dealer was an older guy, probably in his 70's that loved kids.