CoinPeople.com

Defaced George V penny?

NumisMattic2200

Wasn't sure about this one at first, but then it kind of dawned on me that it must be a defaced coin. Just today, as I was sorting through the last sack of old large size british pennies and right at the end, I found a slightly odd looking coin. At first, I didn't think much of it, it was just a circle in the middle of the obverse of the 1913 penny but then I realised it was positioned as if it was going through his ear. I don't see any way this 'earring' could be a random mark as it is too un-randomly placed. Has anyone ever come across any defaced George V pennies? And was there any particular reason? Or was this just someone's prank just to pass the time?

6busciv.jpg

Well, it is a little known fact that George V did indeed wear earrings! ;):ninja:

georgeear.jpg

Sorry, I am at a break, slightly overworked and I couldn't resist! ;)

I have several George V pennies, and while some are in a bad shape, none has an "earring" circle on them. I guess this is just normal coin vandalism. Maybe someone wanted to make a talisman, as it is placed in the middle?

When Charles becomes Queen, she will have lots of defacements I am afraid.

Weird that you mention that. I was talking to one of the professors at our institute today - who also collects - and we were talking about how curious we were about the portrait profile of Charles. I'm kinda looking forward to those coins... (not wishing the Queen any harm tho :ninja: ).

When Charles becomes Queen, she will have lots of defacements I am afraid.[/qoute]

lol i bet he ( :ninja: ) will only be king for minimum 5 yrs an maximum 13 ;) .....hmm long live the queen ...i think her grand children will cause chaos xD ..... i say harry should be king after lizzy ..he looks more mature then william lol ...an charles ehh too old 2 rule ;)

Archived