CoinPeople.com

You say Sacagawea, I say Sakakawea

Dockwalliper

Now the Senate and the House have acted on the "Native American $1 Coin Act," which would add scenes from our American Indian past to our current dollar coinage, and a linguistic battle has emerged that could well prevent the measure from becoming law.

At stake is the pronunciation and spelling of the name of Lewis and Clark's great heroine, Sacagawea (Senate bill) or Sakakawea (House version).

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Articl...;ArticleId=2732

Last I looked this bill also included edge lettering for the Sackie. The same edge lettering that the same congress is trying to remove from the President dollars.

Congress should get out of the coin business.

congress shouldnt decide on what cons i have in my mind i think there should be a group of coin freaks that should decide because congress really sucks at making good coins.. dont get my wrong the sackie and the presi look good if there proof. in my mind the congress doesnt care just as long as there is coins in circulation they dont care..

I can think of a WHOLE lot of other things Congess needs to stay out of but that would be wasted effort as well! I have come to the conclusion that getting elected to any public office automatically qualifies one to lose all common sense, protects one from ever having to give an honest answer to the most simpliest of questions and to play stupid until voted out of office or until the life long retirement income and benefits, which are free of course, kick in! And, at that point in time they regain their intelligence and common sense just enough to charge outlandish fees for a speech concerning all the things they did or did not do while in office or pay a silent author to write them a book. Coinage is NOT a congressional strong point and they prove it repeatedly year end and year out! You pat my back and I will pat yours IS a requirement to retain office! The sad part of it all is, WE the voter can't take it upon ourselves to use the Constitutional gift called voting and in just two or three elections vote out all sitting incumbents, regardless of party lines! Put ALL of them out. So who really is to blame for the wall between us and the elected officials?

I can think of a WHOLE lot of other things Congess needs to stay out of but that would be wasted effort as well! I have come to the conclusion that getting elected to any public office automatically qualifies one to lose all common sense, protects one from ever having to give an honest answer to the most simpliest of questions and to play stupid until voted out of office or until the life long retirement income and benefits, which are free of course, kick in! And, at that point in time they regain their intelligence and common sense just enough to charge outlandish fees for a speech concerning all the things they did or did not do while in office or pay a silent author to write them a book. Coinage is NOT a congressional strong point and they prove it repeatedly year end and year out! You pat my back and I will pat yours IS a requirement to retain office! The sad part of it all is, WE the voter can't take it upon ourselves to use the Constitutional gift called voting and in just two or three elections vote out all sitting incumbents, regardless of party lines! Put ALL of them out. So who really is to blame for the wall between us and the elected officials?
like ive said before people in office shouldnt get paid!!! should be like jury dutie!

like ive said before people in office shouldnt get paid!!! should be like jury dutie!

You haven't been called yet because of your age, but next year you are on the list. Kind of great how you cannot do anything fun like drink or smoke(yeah right) until you are 21, but the un fun stuff like getting jury duty notices come starting at 18. Most places pay like $6 a day, but some are more. I got called back in 1995 on a murder trial and was selected, I earned a whopping $30 and got no compensation from my employer for my lost wages. BTW the guy got 30 years and went to Texas State Prison, where he still is unless he croaked. In Texas if you get a sentence like 30-40 years you can kiss good behaviour parole away.

Its things like this that make me think that the bills that would give the Treasury Secretary the power to change the composition of American coinage are a the first of future laws that would get congress out of the coinage business.

Unless you get an idiot in that office. I say we clone Teddy Roosevelt and Adolph Weinman, and Augustus St. Gaudens and just start all over again.

i third that ;)

congress shouldnt decide on what cons i have in my mind i think there should be a group of coin freaks that should decide because congress really sucks at making good coins.. dont get my wrong the sackie and the presi look good if there proof. in my mind the congress doesnt care just as long as there is coins in circulation they dont care..

that 2 x) muahahah coinppl must be elected 2 decide these stuff ahhh i can picture it now .....scott with women on his designs .....gx with russian or korean designs ;)......dustin with cars on em ......bigm with bananas on em ;)...... etc ^_^ me ill keep random stuff on it :ninja: pics of dogs xD lions ....to traffic lights xD lol

.scott with women on his designs .....gx with russian or korean designs ;)......dustin with cars on em ......bigm with bananas on em ;)...... etc ^_^ me ill keep random stuff on it ;) pics of dogs xD lions ....to traffic lights xD lol

Women on coins and banknotes are far more attractive than cars, or dogs, or hammers and sickles. :ninja:

I have to agree, women look much better than crosses. Now why didn't the Medieval moneyers think of that... :ninja:

The Royal Mint have stepped up their production of 'commemorative' coins now, no more bland designs. We now have bridges, locomotives, DNA Helix and heads on our pounds/two pounds. Lets just hope they don't put Margaret Thatcher on our coins... ;)

I have to agree, women look much better than crosses. Now why didn't the Medieval moneyers think of that... :ninja:

Because of ... errm ... this.

WgXi1sWniYxFryyN.jpg

A bracteate (Zurich, around 1300) showing Elisabeth von Spiegelberg. Taken from these "Women on Coins" tours:

http://secure2.moneymuseum.com/frontend/mo...tour?uuid=65265

http://secure2.moneymuseum.com/frontend/mo...tour?uuid=92253

Christian

I vote, that once we honor all of our presidents on U.S. circulating :ninja: coinage by 2016, we need to go back to the Liberty and Indian designs!

Not that I would mind seeing them sooner...

Back on topic - so, how long is this Indian scenes thing going to last? Do we have designs for our coinage planned until 2100 or something? Sheesh.

Back on topic - so, how long is this Indian scenes thing going to last? Do we have designs for our coinage planned until 2100 or something? Sheesh.

I think we really need to do the every living American series like Mad Magazine proposed back in the 1970's. :ninja:

Because of ... errm ... this.

WgXi1sWniYxFryyN.jpg

A bracteate (Zurich, around 1300) showing Elisabeth von Spiegelberg. Taken from these "Women on Coins" tours:

http://secure2.moneymuseum.com/frontend/mo...tour?uuid=65265

http://secure2.moneymuseum.com/frontend/mo...tour?uuid=92253

Christian

They must have plugged her mouth :ninja:

Hehe..sounds like your Government is as self-befuddling as ours over here in Britt-land..

Of the two pronunciations, which is the way the indigenous people would pronounce it?

I think that would be most accurate..

Well now that the Scottish PM rules Britannia, you can count on many changes. :ninja:

No DON'T incuse the dates! The quicker they wear off the more OURS will be worth for all the love and care we put into protecting them from circulation. We want all the circulating coins to wear VERY QUICKLY so OURS become those high grades collectors will seek in the future. Just make sure you grab plenty of each coin and put them away.

Bring back anything, Buffalo/Indians, Ladies, Wildlife or natural resources but please just can the politicians for once and for all!!!

i dont care if its a rare coin .... cheap coin or w/e :ninja: i dont care how many exist or who has em ;) as long as i have 1 in my collection im happy ;) ...if i like it i want others 2 have 1 cause i know they may like it 2 ;) dont want 2 be special in being the only person that has 1 cause it will make me worry more bout protecting the coin then enjoying it

Archived