CoinPeople.com

Help with Latin Inscription

Drusus

anyone want to give this a try? I am attempting to get an exact translation of this:

EPISCOPIS EX ORBE UNIVERSO QUI APOSTOLICAE SEDIS IURIBUS PROPUGNATIS RE ROMANA UBIQUE DEFENSA PII IX PONT MAX DESIDERIO OBSEQUUTI EIDE M VI ID IUN AN MDCCCLXII CAELESTES HONORES SANCTIS NOVENSILIBUS DECERNENTI ADFUERE CIVES ROMANI PATRIBUS ET ADSERTORIBUS CATHOLICI NOMINIS

I have started to but I am having trouble and thought I would throw this out there and see if someone knows enough latin to translate.

I know it is refering to pope Pius IX pontifus maximus and 1862. This was on a medal refering to the cannonization of the 26 martyrs of japan and Michael de Sanctis.

This is what I have managed to cobble together...I took latin but some of these words I cannot figure out, its not quite the same type of latin I studied:

Bishop of entire world who Apostolic See (justice?) PROPUGNATIS (fight?) in Rome defend Pius IX Pontifus Maximus wish for indulgence EIDE? M? 6 ID IUN AN 1862 Heavenly Honors of the Saints NOVENSILIBUS determines ADFUERE state? Roman homeland and ADSERTORIBUS Catholics Name?

I know...needs work...any help cleaning this up would be most welcome.

I might be very wrong but;

PUGNATIS means 'you (plural) fight', PRO means for, so 'you fight for'? Or something like?

6 ID[us] IUN AN[no] 1862 possibly? (6 days after the ides [13th] June in the year 1862)

So the date would be the 19th June 1862?

sorry, didnt update this...translation is as follows...

The citizens of Rome (render homage to) the bishops from all over the world, fathers and protectors of the Catholic name, who, after defending the rights of the papacy and everywhere acting as advocates of Roman Catholic affairs, heeded the summons of Pope Pius IX and, on June 8, 1862, attended his conferment of heavenly honors upon the newly-elevated saints.

page for this medal is here...

http://www.cachecoins.org/medalsaint.htm

thanks for everyone who helped. It was a bit tough. I just dont like posting something like this without full attribution.

Archived