CoinPeople.com

$100.00??

dustin43160

:ninja: i just think that its better 2 have more then less ;) i don care bout shape rarety etc ;) as long as its in my collection it will be special ;) whats the use of wasting alot on 1 coin which i have 2 be careful handling, protect it, risk it getting lost (400 coins trust me some will be left ;) lol 1 it may get lost or stolen) , etc....makes the hobby no fun for me... 400 coins will give me a long time 2 try an read bout their history, dates they were made, etc :D 1 coin takes maximum 1-2 weeks if its really old an 1,2 days if its new

:ninja: i just think that its better 2 have more then less ;) i don care bout shape rarety etc ;) as long as its in my collection it will be special ;) whats the use of wasting alot on 1 coin which i have 2 be careful handling, protect it, risk it getting lost (400 coins trust me some will be left ;) lol 1 it may get lost or stolen) , etc....makes the hobby no fun for me... 400 coins will give me a long time 2 try an read bout their history, dates they were made, etc :D 1 coin takes maximum 1-2 weeks if its really old an 1,2 days if its new

i agree but i like beautful coins which some cost alot..

every coin is a treasure for me ;) eheh i like gold but like copper coins more :ninja: i like platinum but i like silver more ;) ;) being born in a country in which they have a huge gold market xD i got sick of the yellow metal ;) i still like it but like other metals more :D

Great question but all the coins/notes I need most for my collection now are out of that range :ninja:

I was looking at a bunch of MS65+ Walking Liberty Halves on Heritage auctions yesterday. A few of them are sub-100. Not bad in my opinion. I've got a few in the Walking Lib short series that have appreciated in value since I added them to my collection.

Great question but all the coins/notes I need most for my collection now are out of that range :ninja:

I was looking at a bunch of MS65+ Walking Liberty Halves on Heritage auctions yesterday. A few of them are sub-100. Not bad in my opinion. I've got a few in the Walking Lib short series that have appreciated in value since I added them to my collection.

lucky!! i only have one walker which is a 43 which paid 2 dollors for from a old guy!!

Why not just $100 worth of Lincoln Cents? That is an awful lot of pennies and you could spend a lot of time going through them all one at a time.

.... take alot of muscle to take it out and back to the bank lol

yea something nice but its not going to kll the pocket..

A few weeks ago I bought myself a shiny proof jefferson nickel. I wish I could take a good pic of it but I can't because it's slabbed and I'm still mastering the art of imaging slabs....

anywho, its a 1938 Proof Jefferson Nickel graded PF 66. I think its gorgeous in hand and is now my earliest proof besides a 1941 Walker I have. I didn't need it but I thought it was a good looking coin and I was amazed to see I could have it for about $100!!!! Thats an AMAZING deal in my opinion. $100 for a 70 year old higher grade proof first year issue?! Even more amazing is that ONLY 19,365 were minted! That means there are only 19,365 ccollectors out there who can have one! And I bet there aren't even that many of the coins still on the market!

So given the age, the condition, and the relatively low numbers (compared to most any mintages) I think thats an exceptional price and I am hoping the market doesn't realize that until I make a nice collection of them!

Check that out. A nice early proof Lincoln, Jefferson, Merc, Roosie, Walking Lib, etc. They are great to hold and you'll get compliments on them. not many collectors have one!

Wait.. here is a pic from the site I bought it from:

443001381o.JPG

443001381r.JPG

I would first buy $100 in halves and look through them for anything worth keeping, and then return them and with whatever was left over, buy a nice problem free bust half in F/VF. It might take a while and you would have to be picky, but it could be done.

Used to be an old bank not far from me. I would go there and buy a $50 bag of pennies (cents) and go through them. Always found something of value. Then take them back to a different bank. Would do that several times a year.

However, lately I've found a dealer at a local flea market that sells almost all coins for $1 each and if you buy a decent amount, the price drops per coin. All Mercury, Liberty Head Dimes, Roosevelt Dimes, Buffalo and V Nickels, all for $1 each or less regardless of condition or dates. All Lincoln Cents are $0.25 regardless of condition or dates. Found a 31S F-12 a few months ago for that price. Saw a 3 coin set of 1943 Lincolns in a plastic case, MS-63 for $1. He also sells Quarters, Halves and occationally Silver Dollars but those he is a little high on prices.

With $100 I'd just buy about 105 or more Mercury and Liberty Head dimes from him.

I like the idea of exhausting the local supply of halfs looking for silver before considering anything else to purchase. Given decent luck you could add significantly to your $100 startup money.

A lot of great suggestions, all collectors are different, and I guess there is no right or wrong answer.

Personaly unless you are trying to complete a set. I would just buy one coin with it. I used to buy lots of coins and search through them, which was fun but now I would rather have one great coin instead of 50 ok coins.

I would look at coins priced at $100 and spend it on ONE I liked.

In my books quality is always better than quantity.

In 3-5 year's time that $100 coin might now be worth $400-$500. If you don't buy it you might then say, jeez I could have bought that coin for $100.

Say you buy 50 coins worth a couple of dollar each. In 3-5 years time I doubt they will be worth as much as 1 coin worth $100 today. You can buy an abundance of cheaper coins anytime.

In the end buy one you like the look of, or the history of, not just because it’s expensive. That way you will appreciate it more.

Archived