CoinPeople.com

Post some Doubled Dies

syzygy

:ninja: nice finds!!

Hi,

Awesome to see these errors! I have been collecting coins for about, well most of my life in one way or another. Something always draws me back to the errors. I dont have alot of errors in my collection but I'm working on it. Enjoyed your post and pictures. Shane

ive been wanting to know this question.. what is the difference between machine doubleing and just a dd???

According to Mr. Daughtrey:

Machine damage doubling, or MDD, manifests itself in three basic forms, none of which has any collectible value by itself... one of these is generally attributed to a loose set screw in the die, which allows the die to bounce on the coin during coining.

We should all know about having a screw loose...

By the way, I think that this MDD is an unfair way to exclude us 'commoners'... those of us who cannot find really good errors... from the elite... 'those who find the best errors'.

What do you think all think about this idea?

Corky

*Warning, another thing I must rant on*

Personally I like MDD coins, especially the very strong MDD's. I have a cent that shows strong doubling, and even slight separation in the wording of one cent, and it's a MDD, but it's a fantastic coin. And then there is that mushy metal that comes along with MDD, very interesting, and NOT DAMAGE OF ANY KIND!

Whoever says a MDD coin is damaged is either trying to protect the high and mighty doubled die coin prices, or not wanting to admit that this is really doubling. Okay, so the dies don't actually have any doubling on them, but the coin certainly shows doubling, WHY SHOULD THIS BE CONSIDERED POST MINT DAMAGE?!?!?!?!? Geh, I hate it when people try and claim that as truth, it's NOT.

Machine doubling is because of a loose screw, rattling die, loose collar, or some other issue when the coin is stamped, and it is made in the mint, and is not post mint damage. The coin is AS STRUCK, and should be treated as such, not excluded as a damaged coin. MDD is a commonplace, and interesting event in the coining process, and should be treated as an anomoly, not damage. It may not bring extra money at auction, but it creates many interesting stand-alone errors that shouldn't be scoffed at, but kept, just as a star note in a banknote collection, or an overinked banknote. It's not a doulbed die, it's not a traditional "error", but it's interesting, and to some people collectable none-the-less.

Thing I like about mechanical doubling it's a real good chance of being one of a kind. You can't say that about die doubling. It's kind of like die clashes on morgans. Why does it matter if its a letter or not. Its still a clash or later die state. I've got a nice triple die clash morgan. You can see the "v" of the cap and hair on the right side/eagles left wing three times.

Thing I like about mechanical doubling it's a real good chance of being one of a kind. You can't say that about die doubling. It's kind of like die clashes on morgans. Why does it matter if its a letter or not. Its still a clash or later die state. I've got a nice triple die clash morgan. You can see the "v" of the cap and hair on the right side/eagles left wing three times.

Very cool, I love die clashed, lets see a pic of that one!

Very cool, I love die clashed, lets see a pic of that one!

At first I thought about making a new post, but it is "doubled" actually "tripled".

You can barely make out the middle line. With what I have for a camera set up its real hard to take pictures of some thing subtle. This took about 60 shots and it really doesn't show it well. This was the only shot that even showed something other then one line. Most did not even show the most prominent one. I put some lines toward the die clash lines.

dieclash.jpg

At first I thought about making a new post, but it is "doubled" actually "tripled".

You can barely make out the middle line. With what I have for a camera set up its real hard to take pictures of some thing subtle. This took about 60 shots and it really doesn't show it well. This was the only shot that even showed something other then one line. Most did not even show the most prominent one. I put some lines toward the die clash lines.

dieclash.jpg

Very very cool!

FWIW, im with Corky & VFox.! The MDD is not tracable to a specific die, so in a way, they are more unique than DD IMO..

Thank you again C.P. ;)

Now I think I got it. Seems the only way they can positively identify the anomaly is because there is a certain die with that specific problem.

Well, I would think that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

What difference is it that I have one or two or three of the same coin and want to charge what the market will bear because the coin is rather unique? Sounds like the same capitalism to me.

Anyway, I probably should have put my opinion on a different forum. It was just at that moment in time I had the urge to put to paper my thought on the subject.

Corky

(I don't need no stinkin dye) :ninja:

Archived