Colonial Rhode Island Currency

oldbucks

This is a new addition I picked up.

It is a $2.00 from Rhode Island (RI283)

Dated July 2nd, 1780.

Graded Choice CU.

Serial Number 1842.

Only 2,600 of these were printed.

Not a bad note for being over 227 years old.

Jeff

697.jpg

Nice clean original note from RI & etc., RI 7 Etc. was one of the states that really did not issue a lot of currency in the 1780 United States guaranty issue. Most notes available from RI & etc. are the 1786 state issue. By comparison Massachusetts Bay issued a tonne of notes with the 1780 issue, and they are most of what is available from there.

Very cool note Jeff! Will you be at the South Bend show in a couple weeks?

So far it looks like I will be there. My schedule since the first of the year has not let me set a table up in South Bend. But I should be there. I look forward to seeing you there.

Jeff

Very nice colonial. They don't come much better than that!

What's the note in your avatar? Looks like a Gold Certificate, except it doesn't say "gold certificate" over the seal. ???

Very nice colonial. They don't come much better than that!

What's the note in your avatar? Looks like a Gold Certificate, except it doesn't say "gold certificate" over the seal. ???

It is a German propaganda note, very difficult to find. The German army distributed them in Yugoslavia during WWII. It resembles a $10 Gold certificate....but when you look at the reverse overstamp, it is very obvious that it not US legal tender.

Jeff

Archived