CoinPeople.com

Type Set Confusion

TreasureGirl

Where do you all stop when you compile a type set? One of each type? All variations of each type? Differing weights? Varying compositions? One narrow rim and one wide rim? Recessed dates? Differences in wording? Different diameters? Modified designs? Lowered reliefs? Normal and crosslet fours? Large dates and small dates? Is anyone here trying for every variety that is listed in the Red and Blue books?

Just curious; this could get expensive.

I have not be collecting that way. Some people do and they want it all. Some stop when they get everything in the Red Book. Some dont stop until they have every variety. Some people do not collect errors. Its up to you. I just like to buy coins. When I see one and I like I gotta get it.

I'm taking Dansco U.S. Type set album and filling it. There are so many varieties if you go that route you may never finish.

Same here. I'm using the Dansco 7070 album and following the coin selection they have chosen. It makes a nice set. There are pics of a completed 7070 somewhere in the Coin Museum as I recall.

I'll let you know once I finish my US type set, though be warned it will probably be in 2050 and I will look and act a lot like Grandpa Simpson by then!

"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the fairy to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because if the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones."

"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the fairy to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because if the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones."

lol xD

Ken, one of our CP members, runs a nice site on type sets. I really like that he offers multiple excel spread sheets with varying levels of difficulty (and cost). You can find one that generally suits your needs and then make a few alterations to make it your own.

http://typesets.wikidot.com/united-states-sets

Here's a more extensive US Type Set listing from the NGC website. For some people this is still not complete in that it doesn't include each of the Jeffersons from the Westward Journey - only one and ditto for the Presidential $ and some other major types.

NGC US Type Set List

Hi TreasureGirl,

"Slowly but surely" always has kind words for my site (thanks sbs) but they are just ideas to help people focus on collecting a coin set but since this is a topic near to me I'll throw my two cents out there.

First you have two things that will guide you on what to collect, 1.) your budget and 2.) what you think is representative of a coin series. For example, a short list of type coins may just say Large Cent 1793-1857, Small Cent 1857-Present, etc... and would probably only be 10 or 11 coin types.

Some folks like the structure provided by existing albums as some of the homework and direction has been laid out for them and there are quite a bit out there like DANSCO (mentioned earlier), Whitman, Littleton, and Eagle Holders. The only problem here is that some coins may be outside your budget and you may make compromises on coin grades that will bother you later on. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with this route and I would keep it as an option to be considered.

Whereas some folks (like myself) go the route of a custom album and buy the grade and types of coins we like. As time goes on we can expand the sets to a broader set to include major or minor varieties or maybe error coins.

Whichever solution you choose will definitely save you time and heartaches since you are doing your homework and not buying every coin that catches your fancy. That was my problem when I started out and I wasted a lot of $$ buying the wrong coins before I really focused on what to collect.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Thanks for all of your advice! I think I've got an idea now of how I'm going to fill in the type set, by being very general at first and then filling in coin-specific variations as I make more moneys! Eventually it will be thorough, but certainly not at the moment.

Thanks again and I will definitely be referencing back to this thread.

Edited for redundancy

This is something I've thought about many MANY times. I was putting together an excel list for all type sets, ones with varieties, ones without, and also ones from every war the US had starting after the revolutionary war(Because our first official coins were the prelim. 1792 issue, and 1793 normal issues), so the war of 1812 type set. This is actually not too hard to put together because you don't need a dollar coin, compared to the civil war type set, which has the seated dollar included. Anyway, I finished the type sets listing, and my some of the normal coins when my laptop battery died, and I have yet to replace it, so all I have is an older, unrevised version of an excel log. If anyone wants to have a copy I'd be happy to email it to them, seems I can't simply attach it here. But to me there are dozens of type sets, and I've come up with quite a few more since I've made this first list.

I have wanted to put together a sculptor type set for a few of my favorites.

Longacre -- it's been done a few times but it's quite a lengthy and expensive typeset esp. considering the gold and the 1856 FE.

Gasparro -- the coin part isn't too hard, but, if you include medals he designed/engraved the field widens quickly. I'm not sure I can even find a list of all of his stuff.

Schlag -- very interesting set, especially the commems and medals.

Archived