CoinPeople.com

The Deadpoint

thedeadpoint

Finally able to have the time to make my own "new purchases" thread. It's rare that I have simultaneously 1) the ability to collect (time, $), 2) something to collect (what to buy? where can I find it?), 3) and the time to take pics/scans and upload them.

Anywho, here is my thread. It'll be rarely updated with new additions throughout the year but hopefully I'll be better about it. I also hope to make a lot of small additions to my collection this summer while I have the time and money.

Also, I've got random thoughts and questions about collecting I'd like to ask you guys about and your opinions on. I'll put them in this thread so they're kind of a numis-diary.

PS. The Deadpoint is a term I picked up in the climbing world. If you threw a ball straight up in the air, the deadpoint is where it is at the top of its path. That split second where forces are in equillibrium, acceleration is zero, etc. It's not some morbid term.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some small type coins I bought at the local shop yesterday. I woke up early (11am) during my summer break just to get there before they closed (1pm)! They have a good selection but not as good as the Baltimore bourse floor. I can't find suitable coins/notes for my series collections so I bought some type coins I thought looked nice and I needed. Excellent prices too. Can't complain.

My first coin towards a new series I wanted to start - Vnicks between XF and low MS grades to keep them cheap, unslabbed, and good looking.

1902 V nick' - AU - gorgeous luster and toning in hand but not in the scan. I'm still trying to figure out how to take the best images.

928701.jpg

My first Seated Liberty design (those and barber heads are my favorites) coin AND my first Carson City coin.

1876 CC Seated Liberty Quarter - G/VG

928700.jpg

The first large cent I've bought since I was a newbie. Cute ain't she?

1853 Braided Hair Liberty Large Cent - VF

928702.jpg

One of my first half cents. Priciest of the lot I bought yesterday. The mintage figures explain why. Great deal in my opinion considering only 55K were minted and probably a lot fewer on the market.

1854 BH Liberty Half Cent - VF give or take - mintage: 55,358

928703.jpg

My other "first half cent" in my collection. Also the first Classic Head liberty design in my collection. Lostdutchman posted a Classic Head half dime a few weeks ago and my mouth started watering for an example of that design in my collection. So here was an excellent chance. An amazing deal in my opinion given the relatively low mintage AND age of the coin, but hey... that's what the market's like at the time. Can't complain!

1825 Classic Head Liberty Half Cent - G+ - mintage: 63,000

928704.jpg

PS. that is my oldest collectable American coin in my collection! (the others are in Poor grade and were souvenirs before I knew how to collect).

One or two more additions to come in the next week or two.

Thanks.

And as my first entry into my numis-diary, I need some advice. I've been working on a new series (as of last year) of Barber dimes. I want to have good looking examples of each date without breaking my bank or breaking slabs. So I settled on XF-AU coins since they maintain great looks and low prices. HOWEVER, I haven't been able to find ANY coins in these grades. Only a few times at the Baltimore show do I see something worthwhile. I can't find them at shops, online, ANYWHERE. I can find lots of better grades or worse grades but NONE in this grade. I think I've only added a few to my collection since I started this series.

Unbelievable considering I started this series so I had something easy to work on while I waited patiently for keys in my other series to come along!

Anywho, here is where I need your advice:

Should I just buy a bunch of filler coins that don't meet my XF standards and upgrade them when I can? Or do I hold out for satisfactory examples when I find them?

The latter would probably be easier on my budget. Otherwise, I'd buy decent VF examples til better grades come around.

Well? Should I ransack my local dealer and fill in lots of holes til I get to Baltimore again?

And as my first entry into my numis-diary, I need some advice. I've been working on a new series (as of last year) of Barber dimes. I want to have good looking examples of each date without breaking my bank or breaking slabs. So I settled on XF-AU coins since they maintain great looks and low prices. HOWEVER, I haven't been able to find ANY coins in these grades. Only a few times at the Baltimore show do I see something worthwhile. I can't find them at shops, online, ANYWHERE. I can find lots of better grades or worse grades but NONE in this grade. I think I've only added a few to my collection since I started this series.

Unbelievable considering I started this series so I had something easy to work on while I waited patiently for keys in my other series to come along!

Anywho, here is where I need your advice:

Should I just buy a bunch of filler coins that don't meet my XF standards and upgrade them when I can? Or do I hold out for satisfactory examples when I find them?

The latter would probably be easier on my budget. Otherwise, I'd buy decent VF examples til better grades come around.

Well? Should I ransack my local dealer and fill in lots of holes til I get to Baltimore again?

well i can help you out by taking ur set of barber bimes and u can start over!!!! hehe i do like the babrber series myself but only have 1 babrer quarter..

• 2 weeks later...

More advice needed:

I strongly prefer buying additions to my collection in person - being there, choosing the right coin/note, maybe after searching a few stores or few tables. However, I either don't have the time to go to shows/shops or when I can they don't have what I need/want. Here's my question: At what point should I give up searching for a note in person and buy one sightunseen or from the internet?

Ones that I buy in person mean more to me because of the hunt, etc. But my collection is stagnant in some areas.

• 4 weeks later...

My first 3-center. Some minor clashing seen on reverse.

1865 3 Cent - copper nickel.

930443.jpg

My second seated design, first seated half. Love this design.

1855 - O Seated Liberty Half Dollar

930459.jpg

Nice ones! ;) I like the 3 cent piece for its roman numerals. Cuban and Portuguese coins have this feature as well. Maybe that could be a nice theme for a collection; Modern coins with roman numerals for their denomination.

But I am going off topic. The seated liberty is quite an awkward engraving isn't it? The face looks really alien. :ninja:

• 2 months later...

From the Countryside, IL show:

1907 Barber dime in XF... not pretty but it was an OK price. The dealer got somewhat annoying... I need it for the set and these XF-AU graded barbers are harder to come by than their better graded counterparts. This monthly show will help boost the collection.

935722.jpg

1928 C $1 Silver Certificate. A key to the whole regularly-issued $1 cert. series starting 1923. Let's just say, I saw more 1928Es or 1790's cents or red UNC early 19th C copper or Hawaii/North Africa star notes than I did 1928Cs. Only one more note needed (1923 Woods-Tate) to finish the reg-issue series set I started.... The star notes on the other hand... those will be tough.

I got it for an excellent price. I'm not happy with the condition but since they're so hard to come by, I took it anyway. If I find a nicer one, I can pawn this one off very easily to help pay for the nicer one.

910936A.jpg

910936B.jpg

The nice thing about searching for the harder-to-find notes is that dealers always know if they have one or not. I don't have to sift through dozens of notes just to find it, I can usually just look for their featured notes or ask away. Makes searching the bourse easy and efficient.

Also, I got a 1935 D narrow margins star note. I actually thought I had this one, then went through my collection realized one was mislabelled or something. Turns out I didn't have it. I got this for a good deal. It's nice and crisp and has good embossing. I got home to take it off my "need list" and I apparently already bought one at the last show... thats what happens when you don't wake up early to prepare your list.

910943A.jpg

910943B.jpg

I also saw some awesome coins and notes I don't have. I was really really tempted by quite a selection: proof barber dimes, gorgeously toned half dimes and seated dimes, low-hundred dollar range early coppers (1790s and 1800s), trade dollars, 1923 Woods Tate in great condition, TWO Hawaii star silver certs! and... the one I was most tempted by Star North Africa note... Only $300 but I've got X-mas gifts to buy!!!!! GAH! So rare and hard to find, ESPECIALLY in an affordable condition!!!

What a show. Thanks Carl.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Everytime I'm bored or procrastinating, I check Heritage for any interesting lots or good deals that I'd care about. Well, after a long time browsing through Walking Libs, I finally found one that fit my standards AND price range AND that I needed.

A little history:

A few years ago, I decided to start a short series: 1939-1947 PDS Walking Liberty Half Dollars with a few qualifiers:

- MS 65 or higher

- Proof 65 or higher

I've only had 3 for the last few years, two UNCs and a proof. I had been spending my money and energy on other series.

But I finally found a very suitable addition to my collection:

2820723.jpg

2820733.jpg

Now, you can't tell from the images, but the strike is very strong. I'd say more than 90% of the Walking Libs I see on Heritage or elsewhere have weaker strikes. I used the left hand and leg of Liberty to qualify the strike. If I can see the dress lines nicely separated and fully stuck, thats a good thing. Seems like most don't go all the way to where they should. The dress folds should also have good detail in the left hand area. Again, many 65 and even 66 strikes aren't well detailed there.

The left leg of the eagle has moderate definition of fore-leg feathers. Usually they aren't discernible but sometimes they are. I've never seen a Walking lib with gorgeous feathers there, even in the highest known grades. So I'm very happy with what seems like a strong strike on the reverse.

The toning isn't fantastic, but I've seen worse - A little brownish in areas but only at close inspection.

And the price was decent. I had this nice piece for sub-$100 INCLUDING shipping, tax, buyer's premium, etc. That's a good deal, IMO.

So - good price, good strike, okay toning. I'm very pleased with this coin! I think the long wait was worth it!

And this is the one series I am actively collecting slabbed coins, because I do want really nice, eye-appealing examples. I'm also building this collection for investment purposes. I'm not as attached to this series as I am with other ones in my collection, so if I ever need to finance something, I wouldn't mind selling these, and with their grades and moderate demand, I'd make a decent return.

Enjoy,

George

• 2 months later...

First day on spring break means a trip to the coin store.

1875 - Seated Half Dollar - VG

943165.jpg

My first seated half. This shop doesn't have a great selection but it's the best I can do. I love the seated designs but was disappointed with the selection. There were higher grade halves but all were either ugly and/or cleaned. I like an originally toned coin. This was the best looking of the lot in my opinion. I don't usually buy a coin w/o referencing the red book but I went for this one. I'll check how I did later.

AD 195 - Septimus Severus denarius - VF

943166.jpg

The first ancient I've bought in YEARS (if I've ever bough one). I thought it looked nice compared to the other selections and it was the only nice one in my price range. I know nothing about ancients (I was looking for one of Clive's hammered honies). I don't know the history of this series (does it belong to a series? do series exist in ancient coins?), it's true grade, place of mint (I think England), or anything.

I'd love to see a well centered ancient for once though.

Nice ancient there deadpoint! I'm not very knowledgeable on ancients either, nice seated half too!

But seriously, if you ever want a hammered coin just email me or look on my website, I'll be more than happy to help. http://historiccoinage.com/hammered.aspx

Cheers,

Clive.

Nice ancient there deadpoint! I'm not very knowledgeable on ancients either, nice seated half too!

But seriously, if you ever want a hammered coin just email me or look on my website, I'll be more than happy to help. http://historiccoinage.com/hammereds2.aspx

Cheers,

Clive.

I've seen the website, Clive. I've seen many other websites that have the coins and the notes that I want. I just like the hunt so much more. For example, jeff tryka has some notes that I've always loved looking at and have wanted for my own for a while, but I would much rather have that note in front of me in person.

Now that rule has its exceptions. When I see a coin or note that I kinda liked (never really had my heart set on) then I can buy it online.

I just thought of a good analogy but I'll keep it PG. Some coins/notes I add out of passion for collecting - My craving was satisfied quick and easy. Other notes/coins - the keys to a series or that note that I've always loved lookign at - are my true loves of the hobby. I wait patiently, sometimes for years, passing up examples that don't quite meet the standards I have or have wished for.

Or more simply - a hooker vs. my soul-mate/future Mrs. Deadpoint. :ninja:

Those hammered coins, Jeff's large size currency, and others are the latter. I'll have to have the patience of a saint (or of a nun/monk/one of my old girlfriends) before I settle for a less one of those.

Feel free to embellish that analogy - think: "happiness with dirtiness later" or "drained my budget but I still love her" etc.

I think I'll end on that note,

George

• 2 months later...

Argh... My year-long senior thesis was SUPPOSED TO come to a close at 5pm yesterday afternoon. As I was hitting "print," the printer jammed. As I was on my way to Kinko's, I got two important emails from my research advisors filled with comments that they should have given me days (if not weeks ago).

Anywho, I have been resisting browsing the forums for the last week or two. Probably one of my longest hiatuses in my 2 years in this forum. Well, graduation cometh in a week and a half-eth. I'll definitely be back after then if not before.

Nostalgia is starting to set in. I'm going to miss this school but mostly the people.