CoinPeople.com

chinese coins lucky or not?

roaddevil

well i heard from ppl i know an saw from sites that old chinese coins r lucky an bring fortune to the 1 who wears them ;) well heres my question :- i got 4 old chinese coins 2 barely identifiable (due to the last owner keeping all in his fountin for yrs ;)!!!!!) an 1 u can barely c wats written an 1 which has a side that atleast shows a few chinese alphabets (but cant read it due to lil wear) an the other side thats really worn an has lil green due to the water ;) anyway i was wondering if i should take 1 out an make it a necklace :D (don worry no need to spoil the coin only keep a lil necklace (not metal) in the hole in the center of the coin :D i can remove it anytime ) i already tried it yesterday an got $26.60 :D thats plus $69.15 that i already have will be gr8 pocket change in holland :ninja: anyway wat u guys think

shall i keep it in the album or wear it :D (btw using the 1 which atleast shows a few chinese alphabets :wub: since the others r really ugly an have pieces of rock an black stains on em an green stuff due to water :S (ugly comp soon ;) when i get a new scanner ) )

as for a pic i found this coin wich has the same chinese writings as far as i can tell :ninja: not sure bout the top character but the other 3 r same as far as i can c ;) all i know is its from the qing dynasty ;) any1 got more info?

677nwqq.jpg

As to those coins being lucky. Not sure. The way I see it is if you were carrying a normal coin without a hole in the center and somebody shot at you with a gun and the bullet hits a nomal coin, it could save your life. If it hits the Chinese coin it would go through the hole and into you. Not much luck there. :ninja: Then there is the fact that if you threw a Chinese coin into the air and shot at it with a gun, the bullet could go through that hole and you would never know if your a decent shot. ;)

Of course if you look at the average Chinese worker in China that probably makes less in a year what you make in a week, just how lucky are their coins?

:D i make 0 a week :ninja: im 16 an still in school ;) an bahrain rarely ppl work before 18 ;) an as for being shot :D no1 has guns in bahrain except the police an military xD an u nvr here of some1 being shot xD ;) an plus ;) wat bullet can go through a coin hole !!!!!! :D

found this ;) "Chinese coins symbolize prosperity, abundance, and good fortune. Their use originates from ancient times when coins were worn as amulets of protection against disease,evil, or negative energy, as well as to attract wealth." ;) not a spiritual person but since i only wore it 1 day an got cash for free i think ill try it for a month or 2 ;) ;) cant do me anyharm right :ninja:

:wub: i make 0 a week ;) im 16 an still in school ;) an bahrain rarely ppl work before 18 ;) an as for being shot :D no1 has guns in bahrain except the police an military xD an u nvr here of some1 being shot xD :D an plus :D wat bullet can go through a coin hole !!!!!! :D

Sorry. I never heard of Bahrain so wouldn't know about guns there. You should move to Chicago. By 16 you would be in a gang, have been arrested a few times, stolen the coins you need, go to school to learn how to fight and steal, drive like a nut up and down streets all night. :ninja:

Most ammunition of the .22 size will go through those holes due to the fact that at high speeds the lead is fairly well softened by friction. Of course if metal jacketed that will not happen. ;)

:ninja: im goin uk at 18 ^_^ ;) an trust me im no gang person xD dont smoke (an don plan 2 ;)) don drink don use guns read books (no ganger reads books xD) an yea we fight in school ;) but usually u have ur whole class plus 2 or more their that pull the other person off :D so fights only last max 2 min (that is if the place becomes crowded) i didnt fight since 7th grade xD 4 yrs :D i still dont have a car :D u have 2 be 18 here :/ an as for bein out all night xD bahrains boring at night xD that is until 10.30 ;) cause after that most fun places close except night clubs which is full of drunk saudis xD so i dont think its fun xD

found this ;) "Chinese coins symbolize prosperity, abundance, and good fortune. Their use originates from ancient times when coins were worn as amulets of protection against disease,evil, or negative energy, as well as to attract wealth." ;) not a spiritual person but since i only wore it 1 day an got cash for free i think ill try it for a month or 2 ;) ;) cant do me anyharm right :ninja:

Go for it roaddevil, as you say; it can't do you any harm.....except if it makes your neck dirty. You may end up rich and able to afford coins that you can read, who knows.

I have a very large 19th century piece, ie about 52mm that resembles a large Chinese cash coin from that era, it was given to me as a gift, and whenever I have had it, I have won door prizes etc. It is a lucky piece in my opinion and someone that read it once said I should always keep it and that was about all I could find out about it. I have posted pics of it previously but nobody seems to know what it is.

i have been wearin my gran dads necklace for yrs ;) nvr been dirty ;) i wash up everyday ;) so no harm :D an as i said the coin was free :D as a gift an since chinese coins r easy to get ehh :D i can use this an get another 1 ;)

I think your family should be proud of you. At your age being interested in coins, rather than the kind of stuff that goes on where I live.

Also, glad you wash every day. Can't stand stinky coin collectors. :ninja:

Luck is a figment of our imagination. What is luck? To many it is sitting alone watching a new sunrise or sunset, having good health, friends and family. To others it is a roof over your head and food on the dinner table. Luck is what we make it just as our hobby (coin collecting) is what we make of it. No set rules to follow and the only person I/we must satisfy is ourselves. That in itself makes this a very unique and lucky hobby to be involved in. It is makes us happy and we are fulfilled with our collecting habits we could not ask for anything else. Very unique this world of coins and when you throw in the history, culture and art (beauty) thats involved over the years we find ourselves in a never ending pursuit of more. And, the best part, it is our own desires that moves us forward. What a hobby!

To my knowledge, the only "lucky" cash coins are those of the poem series from Kang-hsi, which were regarded as lucky, especially when you have a number of different ones together.

Most of the other pieces advertised as lucky is mostly just marketing by people selling feng-shui stuff

I own about 35 of these, and absolutly love them, I can't read anything on them, but they were one of the first coins I ever owned, so I really like them regardless. Right now I carry two different era ones in my pocket, along with a 1869 5 kopeck, a 1915 Canadian large cent, a 1862 UK large cent, and one of the coins I made myself. My left pocket is always loaded, lol.

I am not sure about how much luck they bring me, but I always have something to look at, or play with when I am bored, and they spark plenty of conversations as well. So maybe not lucky, but it's never a bad thing to have an unusual coin on hand....or neck in your case. :ninja:

Archived