CoinPeople.com

Jamaican Me Crazy! contest

First place will be for 1 $20 coin, 1 $5 coin, and 1 $1 coin, all Jamaican.

Second place will be for 1 $5 coin and 1 $1 coin, also Jamaican.

Hmm, this is my first contest, so what to ask?

Okay, tell me three of the five men currently depicted on Jamaican coinage AND tell me why I cannot also give you anything less than $1 JMD (nothing personal; hint - it's something everyone takes for granted on the island).

Each person who gets the correct answer(s) will have their names dropped into a hat and drawn from on Sunday. First out of the hat is first place, second out is second place.

Good luck!

Marcus Garvey: NAtional Hero, proponent of the 'Back to Africa' movement. Rastas see Garvey as a prophet. Founder of the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA) and African Communities League (ACL).

George Gordon: National Hero, Born of a union between a white planter and a slave. Member of the Jamaican Assembly and severe critic of the colonial government. Implicated as being involved in the Morant Bay rebellion. Though he didnt take an active role, he did encourage the people to question colonial rule. Arrested, sentenced to death, and executed he would become a martyr for the cause of Jamaican nationalism.

Norman Manley: National Hero, lawyer, Scholar, advocate of universal suffrage which he helped get passed. Served as Chief minister and the premier.

thanks for the contest!!

National heroes: Alex. Bustamante, GW Gordon, Norman Manley, Marcus Garvey and Paul Bogle.

One Jamaican Dollar worth a penny, so they don't have any reason to make smaller coins than 1 JMD.

I have to agree. Nothing worth less than $1.00 Jamaican on the island so they don't need anything smaller.

Manley, Garvey, Gordon.

I like their notes too.

Sir William Alexander Bustamante (1884–1977) on the 1 dollar coin.

Norman Washington Manley (1893–1969) on the 5 dollar coin.

Marcus Mosiah Garvey, Jr. (1887 - 1940 ) on the 20 dollar coin (and the 25 cent coin).

As for why you couldn't give us less than 1 $, I have no real idea. There are coins that have a lower than 1$ denomination, namely 1, 10 and 25 cent coins. They have not been officially withdrawn, as far as I could find out. I've never been to Jamaica so I don't really know their prices, but maybe they are not worth anything anymore and that is why you can't find them.

Thank you for your contest... even though I probably couldn't answer all the questions.

PS: I hope your second question has something to do with some exotic Jamaican custom and not the boring "Can't buy nada with them". :ninja:

Three men on Jamaican coinage would be Norman Manley, Marcus Garvey and GW Gordon. You can't give away anything less than $1 JMD because everything used is $1 JMD or larger because everything costs at least $1 JMD. In a much clearer sentence :ninja:, anything smaller than $1 JMD would be pretty much useless.

Without looking at anyone else's answers (don't worry, I will AFTER I type this up):

Part 1: Marcus Garvey, Sir Alexander Bustamante, Paul Bogle, George William Gordon, Norman W. Manley. (oops, only needed three, just give me extra credit)

Part 2: Production of coins of less than $1 denomination ceased by 1989, so I would imagine that is why you cannot give me any of them. (Nothing personal, :ninja: )

Sir Alexander Bustamante, Norman Manley and George William Gordon. (3 only :D)

"50 cents coins were introduced in 1976 but production for circulation ceased in 1989, along with that of the 20 cents. In 1990, 1 dollar coins were introduced, followed by 5 dollars in 1994, 10 dollars in 1999 and 20 dollars in 2000." so ill have to say this point and the nothing is worth less then $1 jamaican on the island ;)

o btw the 5 dollar coin is magnetic :D nice ^_^ (saw it while researching for the lesser then $1 stuff ;) )

ps :- ya contest is fair ;) an nice 2 :D tnx :D:ninja: they gonna make bob marley coins ;)!!!!

According to the Bank of Jamaica new coins for the denominations of 10 and 25 cents (as well as 1$) were introduced in 1995. So, their production could not have stopped in 1989. That is what confuses me.

Oh well... I am still hoping for an explanation about some dark Obeah ritual concerning coins! :ninja:

only the 50 an 20 cents were stopped ;) others r still made :ninja:

I noticed that too. That makes me wonder. The melt value must be more than the face value by a long shot, so I'm willing to bet that this is the reason you can't give us any.

I noticed that too. That makes me wonder. The melt value must be more than the face value by a long shot, so I'm willing to bet that this is the reason you can't give us any.

Ha! ;) So we would all be correct. The coins are worth so little you can't even buy the medal they are minted with ;) . :ninja:

Winners pulled!

Congratulations to our 1st place winner, Dan8402 and 2nd place winner, Art! Please PM me whevever you can.

Archived