CoinPeople.com

shall i use ziplock bags or not?

roaddevil

dustin as long as ur coins r in a good cool dry place they r in no harm ;) (dont put em in front of the sun :ninja: i keep em in my cupboard shelf ;) )

Actually what you said is similar to the previous post about heat. Naturally anyone should know that heat increases chemical reactions. Therefore placing a coin in the sun would be similar to heating it and if in the presence of Oxygen, Moisture, Carbon DiOxide, some decent damage could result. Good thinking.

• 10 months later...
I'm so GLAD somebody actually did some research and found out the truth about plastic food bags. It is so amazing how many hear something, repeat it and change it to make it sound worse. Then somebody else does the same. These are in reality what is known as OLD WIVES TALES. Oh so many stories of the danger of PVC from people that have heard it from people that have heard it from....

Note: Go to any hardware store and see the PVC pipes for your household water supply. Gee in your home it is being used for your drinking water. As already noted here it is not the PVC but the additives that leak out and cause problems with some metals. However, as anybody should realize, there is only so much of anything that can leak out of anything. Then it stops.

Regardless, I've been putting my coin albums in plastic bags for well into the 50 or so year area. When Zip lock types came out I started to use them. I just squeeze out as much air as possible. So far no problems with any coins. However, this may only be temporary since I don't have statistics of several hundred years. The main thing is to push as much air out as possible.

The GREEN stuff on most Copper coins is almost normal. Since Brass and Bronze, Nickel coins, etc contain Copper, under normal conditions a greenish patina will form. At first the Copper will start to Oxydize forming Cu2O. Then the presence of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and Moisture (H OH) will attack the Cu2O to form Copper Carbonate [CuCO3-Cu(OH)2]. That is in most instances the greenish patina on your Copper coins. Oh the (H OH)? That is because water in reality is a Hydrogen hydroxide and the OH is a Hydroxide Radical.

NO it is not PVC.

I'm so GLAD somebody actually did some research and found out the truth about plastic food bags. It is so amazing how many hear something, repeat it and change it to make it sound worse. Then somebody else does the same. These are in reality what is known as OLD WIVES TALES. Oh so many stories of the danger of PVC from people that have heard it from people that have heard it from....

Note: Go to any hardware store and see the PVC pipes for your household water supply. Gee in your home it is being used for your drinking water. As already noted here it is not the PVC but the additives that leak out and cause problems with some metals. However, as anybody should realize, there is only so much of anything that can leak out of anything. Then it stops.

Regardless, I've been putting my coin albums in plastic bags for well into the 50 or so year area. When Zip lock types came out I started to use them. I just squeeze out as much air as possible. So far no problems with any coins. However, this may only be temporary since I don't have statistics of several hundred years. The main thing is to push as much air out as possible.

The GREEN stuff on most Copper coins is almost normal. Since Brass and Bronze, Nickel coins, etc contain Copper, under normal conditions a greenish patina will form. At first the Copper will start to Oxydize forming Cu2O. Then the presence of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and Moisture (H OH) will attack the Cu2O to form Copper Carbonate [CuCO3-Cu(OH)2]. That is in most instances the greenish patina on your Copper coins. Oh the (H OH)? That is because water in reality is a Hydrogen hydroxide and the OH is a Hydroxide Radical.

NO it is not PVC.

I appreciate the info in the response. I use Intercept 2 x 2's, vaseline, or Coin Care on all my copper coins, and Intercept box's. For my graded Lincolns and Indians I use Intercept cases in Intercept box's placed in Zip Lock Bags with common date new pennies surrounding. I also have some coins in Dansco Albums with Slip Cover Cases (with Corrosion Protection in the cases) and keep in zip lock bags with modern pennies to take the sulfer oxidizing hit before my numismatic coins do. Lots of silicant used in the safe/safe deposit box's. Am I on the right track- only have been collecting one year? This is my first response in "Coin People".

I appreciate the info in the response. I use Intercept 2 x 2's, vaseline, or Coin Care on all my copper coins, and Intercept box's. For my graded Lincolns and Indians I use Intercept cases in Intercept box's placed in Zip Lock Bags with common date new pennies surrounding. I also have some coins in Dansco Albums with Slip Cover Cases (with Corrosion Protection in the cases) and keep in zip lock bags with modern pennies to take the sulfer oxidizing hit before my numismatic coins do. Lots of silicant used in the safe/safe deposit box's. Am I on the right track- only have been collecting one year? This is my first response in "Coin People".

Sounds like for someone that has just started you are doing the right thing. Just make sure when you place anything in a zip lock or any plastic bag, you press out as much air as possible.

So many think a plastic zip lock can do damage. In reality if you place one over your head and zip it closed, YES, for sure it can do damage. But your coins are safe.

wow :ninja: u really know ur stuff ;) so i guess zip locks r ok when u take as much air out as possible ;)

Go for it, RD. I think you're smart enough to not put coins with any significant value in them. Keep those coins somewhere more special (and probably safer).

Archived