CoinPeople.com

shall i use ziplock bags or not?

roaddevil

well i have noticed some of the coins in my coin album having green spots. not sure if it was from before of not cant really remember since it was only 3, 4 coins that had green spots anyway also removing coins from my albums an keeping them back in can be a pain. so i was thinkin since i have a unlimited supply of minigrip ziplock bags shall i use them instead of my coin albums :ninja: its pretty neat to write the info of the coin on the ziplock bag with a permenant marker an stuff ;) but just wondering if ill regret it later ;) any1 care to help make a choice ;) ;)

Ziplock bags are the absolute worst thing that people put coins in commonly. Look for a non-PVC plastic, but the only drawback is that it is brittle as time goes by, the PVC is a softening agent that keeps the plastic from becoming brittle.

Well, if the value of the coins are like a few dollars, I guess it's not worth it to invest in coin capsules.

Which are kind of not too cheap really, but I have all my British hammered and early uncirculated bronzes in. Kointains are the best, and I believe you can find them on Vcoins.com

I have been asking the same question myself and getting different answers. I have been told by a few people that freezer bags are pretty good for storage and that most do NOT have PVC in them...I check around, here is what I found:

here are facts about them from GLAD:

What type of plastic are GLAD Bags made from?

GLAD Food Storage Bags are made from 100% polyethylene.

Do GLAD Bags contain plasticizers?

No. GLAD Bags are made of 100% polyethylene (not polyvinyl chloride) and do not contain plasticizers.

Facts from Uline (makes those small resealable bags they put screw and stuff in):

Uline 2 Mil White Block Reclosable Bags

Keep track of small items like spare parts, nuts and bolts.

All virgin polyethylene (non-pvc) film meets FDA and USDA requirements.

Facts from Ziploc:

Ziploc® Brand bags are made of polyethylene plastic and are recyclable under the plastic recycling number 4

It seems to me most freezer bags from most major brand names are PVC free...

If you want a cheap source for archival quality plastic, go to a market and get report covers with the 3 ring binder holes in them. Most of them are archival, and most are cheap. I use these for currency quite often, and then seal them with an impulse sealer. (Check out the "best way to store currency" in the banknote forum, and See's posts about impulse sealers) You can get most of the air out of them before you seal anything, and are cheap, so if you mess up, no big deal. Otherwise, get some kind of climate controlled safe, lol.

PVC is a non issue when it comes to the major brands of what is called ziplock bags. The problem comes with the air trapped in the bag when the coin is sealed along with the humidity which causes the problems.

You say you have 'green spots' on your coins now. This could very easily be PVC and should be removed immediately, if not sooner.

Remember that even the best coin capsules are nothing more than hard plastic. So make a decision and good luck.

If you want a cheap source for archival quality plastic, go to a market and get report covers with the 3 ring binder holes in them. Most of them are archival, and most are cheap. I use these for currency quite often, and then seal them with an impulse sealer. (Check out the "best way to store currency" in the banknote forum, and See's posts about impulse sealers) You can get most of the air out of them before you seal anything, and are cheap, so if you mess up, no big deal. Otherwise, get some kind of climate controlled safe, lol.

Otherwise good luck finding archival grade holders for large size notes. I got a horseblanket from Czechoslovakia this morning that has to go into one of the archival sheet size holders.

wow so much info so fast xD ok i think ill stick to the albums until i come back from holland then gonna go shopping at the main coin store in manama X) (its like a main since its the biggest xD) the guy workin there is an expert ill ask him which is the best album he has :ninja: (prob is i got 1 album from him but i hate the way u must insert the coins an take em out :/ ill look for another type ;) )

I have been asking the same question myself and getting different answers. I have been told by a few people that freezer bags are pretty good for storage and that most do NOT have PVC in them...I check around, here is what I found:

here are facts about them from GLAD:

What type of plastic are GLAD Bags made from?

GLAD Food Storage Bags are made from 100% polyethylene.

Do GLAD Bags contain plasticizers?

No. GLAD Bags are made of 100% polyethylene (not polyvinyl chloride) and do not contain plasticizers.

Facts from Uline (makes those small resealable bags they put screw and stuff in):

Uline 2 Mil White Block Reclosable Bags

Keep track of small items like spare parts, nuts and bolts.

All virgin polyethylene (non-pvc) film meets FDA and USDA requirements.

Facts from Ziploc:

Ziploc® Brand bags are made of polyethylene plastic and are recyclable under the plastic recycling number 4

It seems to me most freezer bags from most major brand names are PVC free...

I'm so GLAD somebody actually did some research and found out the truth about plastic food bags. It is so amazing how many hear something, repeat it and change it to make it sound worse. Then somebody else does the same. These are in reality what is known as OLD WIVES TALES. Oh so many stories of the danger of PVC from people that have heard it from people that have heard it from....

Note: Go to any hardware store and see the PVC pipes for your household water supply. Gee in your home it is being used for your drinking water. As already noted here it is not the PVC but the additives that leak out and cause problems with some metals. However, as anybody should realize, there is only so much of anything that can leak out of anything. Then it stops.

Regardless, I've been putting my coin albums in plastic bags for well into the 50 or so year area. When Zip lock types came out I started to use them. I just squeeze out as much air as possible. So far no problems with any coins. However, this may only be temporary since I don't have statistics of several hundred years. The main thing is to push as much air out as possible.

The GREEN stuff on most Copper coins is almost normal. Since Brass and Bronze, Nickel coins, etc contain Copper, under normal conditions a greenish patina will form. At first the Copper will start to Oxydize forming Cu2O. Then the presence of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and Moisture (H OH) will attack the Cu2O to form Copper Carbonate [CuCO3-Cu(OH)2]. That is in most instances the greenish patina on your Copper coins. Oh the (H OH)? That is because water in reality is a Hydrogen hydroxide and the OH is a Hydroxide Radical.

NO it is not PVC.

Ziplock bags are the absolute worst thing that people put coins in commonly. Look for a non-PVC plastic, but the only drawback is that it is brittle as time goes by, the PVC is a softening agent that keeps the plastic from becoming brittle.

A non- profit organisation lending small amounts of money to entrepeneurs around

I just reread this post. This is one of the most out of context statement about PVC yet.

PVC is a highly stable compound of 3 elements. It is known as C4H6Cl2. None of these elements will cause Copper to turn Green or even react with it normally. Yes the Cl if free could have some effect, but PVC will not even melt until 212degrees F. If your coins are at that temperature, I would think it is the heat, not the PVC that is causing the problem. Next PVC is NOT A SOFTENING AGENT. Softening agents are added to PVC to make it a more flexible material. They are called PHTHALATES. These leak out over a period of time but eventually deminish since there is only so much of anything that can leak out of anything. PVC is a normally not ot stiff material called a POLYMER. This is from the Greek Language and has roots of Poly=many and Mer=parts. Regardless it is a stable, Covalent material that will not effect a coin. It is actually many other things that turn a coin colors and/or show corrosion. PVC has become a thing to be repeated without the proper information.

the coins that i think r getting green spots have nothing to do with pvc :ninja: i didnt even bring pvc into the subject xD i was just asking if keeping coins in ziplock bags is ok ;) after thinkin bout it i said ill only keep extra coins in it which i don really need ;) thus ;) no zip lock bags for my collection xD only extras ;)

Archived