CoinPeople.com

1898 Alexander II rouble – a really bad fake

RW Julian

It doesn't matter what catalogue you use. Even Konros which is printed yearly isn't keeping up with the mad pricing these few years. I used to be able to buy some coins at a very affordable price only to see it skyrocketing by at least 10, yes, TEN times. And that is just FOUR years ago.

Now it pains me to remember that I could have bought a damaged 1859 commemorative ruble for 50 dollars and the 1912 ruble for just 200USD or something :ninja:

We're all feeling the squeeze. It makes it very difficult to know what is a fair price to pay for less frequently traded coins (the common ones are easier).

I am puzzled by the market for Soviet coins.

I have seen USSR mint sets recently sell at price levels that I can scarcely believe.

Yet older Soviet coins in apparently decent shape have drawn very little interest and sold for much lower amounts:

1941 15K described as "Unc" $0.99

1940 5K decscribed as "Unc" $2.99

I don't understand this at all. ;)

Meanwhile notice that the fake 1898 Alexander II rouble posted by Mr. Julian at the beginning of this thread sold for $1030.54 and, of course, the identity of the buyer is kept private. :ninja:

The buyer will eventually find out that what he/she purchased is just a piece of metall. It's just a matter of time. Unfortunately, by that time it will be not possible to return this crap.

Meanwhile notice that the fake 1898 Alexander II rouble posted by Mr. Julian at the beginning of this thread sold for $1030.54 and, of course, the identity of the buyer is kept private. :ninja:

For some strange reason, whenever I see the words "private listing - bidders' identities protected" in an Ebay counterfeit offering, the words "private listing - ebay profits protected by aiding and abetting fraud" are what I read them as.

I'm sure there must be some logical explanation for why my mind plays such tricks on me.

Archived